Need a little Help ~ Food Cost

NascarFanTom19

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hello

Ive been doing bbq for a while now and I've made money but not always known the exact cost per serving. Some you can figure pretty easy and some just is hard unless I take out each serving manually until I figure it out. Got to be some tool I could use.

5 pounds of uncooked pasta
7 pounds of cheese
2 quarts of dairy 4.30 pounds of milk

Its pretty much 16.30 uncooked
I read that a pound of pasta weighs 2.5 pounds after its cooked. If thats true than the cooked weight would almost be 29 pounds

So 29 pounds is 464 oz so could I divide it my the oz for each person to find out how many people it can serve to find out cost per person?

Its my first time trying to figure this out. Any advice.

If you are cooking you pasta then mixing with the milk, cheese Etc then this calculation May by right. If you are cooking you pasta in the milk and cheese then you would not figure in the weight gain of the pasta as it is already figured in the weight of the milk.

How are you planning to serve it? A typical serving size may be 4oz, but the question becomes is that volume or weight? A 4oz scoop of mac and cheese does not necessarily weight 4oz.

I usually use weight for the cost on my M&C. When I portion it out I use 3 oz. of noodles and 3 oz. of cheese sauce. I would make your cheese sauce and then weight it to get a total weight of both. Then figure your portion size and cost.

Don't go off the weights. Use a portion serving spoon or a 4oz container or something like that. Make you recipe and then determine how many 4oz servings are in that recipe. You could I guess also weight out a 4oz serving and then use the weight system. Doing this will let you know how many portions you get from a recipe and also what your cost per serving is.

Back