• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Holding/Warming Cabinet

Congrats on the trailer! I'm headed down the same road next year. To me if your going to take up floor space which comes at a premium, I would get an insulated proofing and holding cabinet combo. Click here.

And here

On that page is a lot of good choices not the only ones but.... my other choice was a bit more expensive. I was looking at a Moffet Convection oven on top of a Moffet holding cabinet.

I have a uninsulated one on my trailer. I would not recommend it as they heat up the trailer too much in hot weather. I recently purchased this one for my commercial kitchen and I love it. It's insulated and will hold 28 full size food pans.

thank you! Ive seen a couple of the HC4009s used online for about $1200. good deal or should i keep shopping? I've heard the cvap is great for holding meat for a log time.

I have a uninsulated one on my trailer. I would not recommend it as they heat up the trailer too much in hot weather. I recently purchased this one for my commercial kitchen and I love it. It's insulated and will hold 28 full size food pans.

i was looking at that one! yea i figured the uninsulated would be hot and/or lose temp quickly when opened.

Hello!
So I am getting a trailer built. It will be licensed as a food truck. I want to purchase a holding/warming cabinet. Something not too heavy or huge. Any suggestions on brands or types? I was kind of looking at something simple like this:

http://www.centralrestaurant.com/No...nW-Holds-18-18-inx-26-in-Pans-c110p26459.html

thanks!

I drive back and forth through Indy three times a week. Let me know when you're up and running, and if you ever set up on 38th Street I'll be happy to give you some regular business.

If I were you I'd see what it takes to be able to go to rest areas and truck stops. Truckers are always looking for better food choices.

I drive back and forth through Indy three times a week. Let me know when you're up and running, and if you ever set up on 38th Street I'll be happy to give you some regular business.

If I were you I'd see what it takes to be able to go to rest areas and truck stops. Truckers are always looking for better food choices.

i'll def let you know when i am up and running! my buddy who helps me is a diesel mechanic around here and knows all about the truck stops around that need decent food choices!

thank you! Ive seen a couple of the HC4009s used online for about $1200. good deal or should i keep shopping? I've heard the cvap is great for holding meat for a log time.

Keep looking as you should be able to get them used for under a grand each. They are awesome for holding meat...it's one of the "secret weapons" for providing moist brisket all day long.

I have a couple of CVAP's, and they flat work! You can hold finished big meats for a long time and then cut and serve. Here is the one I bought for my trailer.

so how long can one hold briskets and butts, and keep good quality, in a cvap realistically? I've heard of some going 12+ hours. Is that true and is quality still there?

nachos4life, I'm a rank novice in using my CVAP compared to the guys who have been doing so for years, but I'll share with you what I've learned over the past year.

I find we can put in finished briskets, wrapped in the butcher paper we smoked them on for the last 3-5 hours or so on the pit, placed in a foil or hotel pan, and let them ride in the CVAP for 12-16 hours, and it's super hard to tell the difference between the brisket 1 hour after pulled and 16 hours later.

I have found that if I put the temp too high (210 degrees) in the CVAP, that those briskets will turn more pot-roasty, which seems obvious, of course.

I have only used the CVAP on long holds like 15 times. So the guys who've been using them a ton have a lot more wisdom to share than I. But I liked my half-sized used one so much I bought a new full size one for the trailer!

right on! that is what i like to hear about the 12-16 hour time! I will be pulling the trigger soon on one of these for my trailer.

so CVAP vs Alto Shaam? I understand cvap has humidity control and AS uses halo heat which is supposedly gentle.
has anyone used both? comparisons? opinions?

ended up buying an older alto shaam 1000 from a local used supply store. way less power draw than the cvap (which i will eventually get). Talked the salesman down to a reasonable price. Also emailed with Franklin BBQ before buying. They told me they use alto shaams and they work great, so.... good enough for them good enough for me.

have a big cook coming up and will put it to the test!

Haven't used the Alto Sham, but now that we are in business I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE CVAP!

Thursday night, pulled 20 pork butts at 11 pm, some were just a shade shy of totally probe tender. Put in CVAP in pans with lids, about 180 degrees for the night. Pulled some of them last night at a vending event - they were great! Left the rest in the CVAP at about 145. Pulled some more this morning for a luncheon - they were still great! Have some more still in the CVAP and will pull them tomorrow afternoon for a parade...expecting them to be great too.

Bark gets softer, and if you put a heavy sugar based rub, like I put on ribs or pork, it will rub off. That is not so important on Pulled Pork, since it all gets in there in the pull.

We tested some briskets in there last weekend, as we cooked more than we sold at my very first vend. Cooked Thursday, pulling about 7 pm. Served Friday evening. Ate more on Saturday, and More on Sunday. All were really good.

I'm keeping a log including all the exact temp and moisture settings so I can dial this in better. But I really like it so far.

Back