MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:33 PM   #16
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

Congrats and Enjoy Post Pics
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2016, 02:45 PM   #17
BillN
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Bill

Congrats on the new cooker, for me brisket is ok but beef ribs are my weakness you'll need to try them on the newcooker. Regarding the pizza steel how would you compare it to a good quality stone? How thick is you steel?
PK 360 w/Grill Grates
BillN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2016, 03:10 PM   #18
RanchoStarvo
Found some matches.

I got hands on with a Yoder pellet smoker yesterday at a hardware store. It's a serious unit, lots of cooking space, and is pretty freaking awesome.
RanchoStarvo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2016, 12:58 AM   #19
mpriola
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Cool The pizza steel....

It's this one:

http://www.bakingsteel.com/shop/mode...pecial-edition

The trick about the steel is that it's more conductive than a stone. That is, it radiates more heat. So when you slap a crust on it at say, 550 degrees, it gets more oven spring and cooks faster.

Having used a stone for over a decade, I can say that the steel makes markedly better pizza. If you're cooking in an oven, you gotta have it.

Many of you have heard of the Kettle Pizza, but you may not have run across the Kettle Pizza Serious Eats Edition. See:

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2013/11/introducing-the-serious-eats-edition-baking-steel-and-kettlepizza-backyard-pizza-oven-kit.html

That's what I'm wondering about trying to replicate with the Yoder. Pizza stone on the bottom, pizza steel over the top for some radiant heat from above.

Marty
mpriola is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2016, 09:44 PM   #20
TosaJake
On the road to being a farker

Congrats on the Yoder! You will have no regrets. I have had mine for three years now. I have tried all of the different pellets and settled on Cookingpellets.com, because for one they work and smoke great and two I can get them from Chris locally and he's a great guy. I have played around with an Amazen tube, and I like to use it on brisket and if the mood strikes me on butts. I also have the grill grates and have cooked everything from steaks to seafood with excellent results. Keep it clean and fed and you'll have no problems

Old 08-29-2016, 11:37 PM   #21
mpriola
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Just an update...

My Yoder arrives Wednesday.

A little bit behind schedule.

But still, it's on its way. I'll post pics here once it arrives.
mpriola is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-30-2016, 03:01 PM   #22
alecksjaycubs
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpriola View Post

That's what I'm wondering about trying to replicate with the Yoder. Pizza stone on the bottom, pizza steel over the top for some radiant heat from above.
You could take a look at the one they now make for gas grills. I know you don't have burner control like they mention in the video but it still might work.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:56 PM   #23
chrischandler71
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chris

Please post some pics when you get it. I remember waiting on mine, and seeing the big fedex truck turn down my street!! Congrats man!

Old 08-30-2016, 09:20 PM   #24
Pstores
is One Chatty Farker

I cooked on a Treager for ten years... 3 days or more a week. Yoder is way better. I experimented with a lot of different pellets. I mixed Hickory, Apple, and either Cherry or maple for pork. Equal parts of each. If I was doing Fish, Just straight maple. Bacon, Apple and Maple. And Brisket, Oak, Apple, Cherry, 50% oak and 25% of each of the other.
Lone Star Grillz Large with reversed cart, Meadow Creek TS120p insulated firebox and stainless front shelf. Sent to a better home to be used like a stick burner should be. Weber Charcoal Summit, Cabelas Pro 100, ready to build UDS, Retired the Big Green Egg XL and Treager 070....
Pstores is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2016, 10:34 PM   #25
bbqwizard
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Phillip

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischandler71 View Post
Please post some pics when you get it. I remember waiting on mine, and seeing the big fedex truck turn down my street!! Congrats man!
Me too!
By His grace, for His glory!
bbqwizard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2016, 10:59 PM   #26
Big Swole
is one Smokin' Farker

Just did my first cook tonight on my new to me YS480.... Congrats on yours.
Sub'ing to read everything tmrw.

Here is my cook from tonight that I had to rush due to time

------------------------

Well due to having to rush them, they turned out fairly decent but not perfect. I had a bit too much salt in my rub. Never had a chance to wrap to get them really tender. But they still tasted good.

First cook on my Yoder YS480 was a success, I'd say. I have a lot to learn about it and how it cooks though.

ONLY SAUCED HALF OF THEM

-BGE Mini --------------------------- "CHERRY POPPER"
Big Swole is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Tags
brisket, Pellets, Pizza, shoulder, tips, Yoder, YS640