Yet another spare rib pron

swibirun

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
It was another overcast rainy day here again in East TN. I had an extra spare rib (spare spare?) that I held over from a few weeks ago so I tossed it on the Egg to cheer me up.

It has a blue tint in this picture because it was under a blue EZ Up.
DSC_0284resized.jpg

It came off perfectly cooked. Tender but didn't fall apart when slicing.
DSC_0303resized.jpg

And I was proud of that smoke ring!
DSC_0295resized.jpg

I rubbed it with Billy Bones original and his XXX Cherry Rub. I smoked it with a mix of hickory/apple. The glaze is a 50/50 mix of Sweet Baby Rays and cherry preserves. Awesome!

Meat Burner: Nope, it was a half/half mix of Sweet Baby Rays and cherry preserves. I chop it up in a blender to get the cherry pieces ripped to shreds. It gives a sweet flavor and texture.

Brisket: Funny thing is, the reason this one was left was because it was the "runt of the litter" compared to the others we bought in the same batch of ribs. Turns out, this was the best tasting one.

Meat Burner: Nope, it was a half/half mix of Sweet Baby Rays and cherry preserves. I chop it up in a blender to get the cherry pieces ripped to shreds. It gives a sweet flavor and texture.

Brisket: Funny thing is, the reason this one was left was because it was the "runt of the litter" compared to the others we bought in the same batch of ribs. Turns out, this was the best tasting one.

Do you really mean half/half? Like exact equal parts? I'm going to be giving that a try next time I do ribs for sure. Sounds yummy.

These butchers around here trim the ribs right to the bone.... Wish I could get some of those "runts" in these parts.

Do you really mean half/half? Like exact equal parts?

Yes, a 50/50 mix by volume. I used to be a dry/naked rib guy until I started using this on the ribs for my boys.

I got this tip from Billy Bones to go with his XXX Cherry Rub but have found it goes well with any rubs. But the cherry rub DOES send it over the top :)

Yes, a 50/50 mix by volume. I used to be a dry/naked rib guy until I started using this on the ribs for my boys.

I got this tip from Billy Bones to go with his XXX Cherry Rub but have found it goes well with any rubs. But the cherry rub DOES send it over the top :)

Billy Bones? Isn't he based here in the mitten (michigan)? Regardless, thanks for the info. I'll be trying this out very soon.

Back