MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:25 PM   #1
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Default Smoke Flavor....Are we numb to it????

The other thread on smoke flavor got me thinking. When we spend all day cooking something, naturally we are going to spend a significant amount of time smelling smoke. I wonder if over the course of the day maybe our senses get a little numbed to it. I know that our taste buds aren't getting clogged with smoke, but our smellers could sure be affected, and smelling is in a way part of tasting.

I have many times cooked up some Q and thought "Its pretty good, but not smoky enough." But the next day, when I get out the leftovers be it ribs, chicken or whatever I always seem to find that the smoke flavor has intensified.

I always thought that somehow the flavor got stronger in the fridge, but now I wonder if it wasn't just the fact that my nose was now clear of all previous smoke and no longer dulled to it.

Any thoughts?
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
btcg
Babbling Farker

Yes, you're right, and it's also true of salt. People who are heavy handed often don't realize that others can find it excessive.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:57 PM   #3
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

I find bbq left over taste more smokey, I have no ideal why.
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
gtr

Great question - I also find leftover bbq is more smokey (& a lot of times I like it better). Next time I'll ask my lovely wife if she can taste a difference from day to day.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2011, 05:13 PM   #5
wnkt
is One Chatty Farker

Ive found that a lot of things taste better the next day after smoking something...specially if I get a good face full of smoke a couple times

Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood
--saying in a fortune cookie--
wnkt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2011, 05:15 PM   #6
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

Agreed, I can't really taste the smokiness until the next day. Is that a word?

Old 02-28-2011, 05:22 PM   #7
Puppyboy
Babbling Farker

The fridge has magical powers.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:56 PM   #8
caseydog

It makes sense. Smell and taste are definitely connected.

Another thing that supports Q-Dat's theory is that I do not smell the smokiness of my clothing at the end of a day of BBQ-ing, but if I sniff my shirt the next morning, it smells like a smokehouse.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2011, 09:06 PM   #9
LT72884
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
The other thread on smoke flavor got me thinking. When we spend all day cooking something, naturally we are going to spend a significant amount of time smelling smoke. I wonder if over the course of the day maybe our senses get a little numbed to it. I know that our taste buds aren't getting clogged with smoke, but our smellers could sure be affected, and smelling is in a way part of tasting.

I have many times cooked up some Q and thought "Its pretty good, but not smoky enough." But the next day, when I get out the leftovers be it ribs, chicken or whatever I always seem to find that the smoke flavor has intensified.

I always thought that somehow the flavor got stronger in the fridge, but now I wonder if it wasn't just the fact that my nose was now clear of all previous smoke and no longer dulled to it.

Any thoughts?
i totally agree. i did this last week. I had someone else smoke the food and it tasted way good. But when i spend so much time in the smoke, i dont like my food. i thought the very thought you did.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:13 PM   #10
otterpop
Full Fledged Farker

Just take a shower, or go for a swim, after smoking and before eating. Clears out your sinus, makes you more presentable AND the food tastes better. A win/win/win.
otterpop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2011, 09:49 PM   #11
RAZORBACK JIM
Full Fledged Farker

otterpop...thanks I'll try that!!!

Jim
WEBER PERFORMER
WEBER SMOKEY JOE
SMOKINTEX PRO 1400 (2)
BBQ GURU
[COLOR=red]RED[/COLOR][COLOR=black] THERAPEN[/COLOR]
PIT-MASTER IQ 110
RAZORBACK JIM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2011, 09:56 PM   #12
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterpop View Post
Just take a shower, or go for a swim, after smoking and before eating. Clears out your sinus, makes you more presentable AND the food tastes better. A win/win/win.

Do you think I should still shower even if it isn't Saturday? ;)
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2011, 10:16 PM   #13
cere19
Found some matches.

Yea I noticed after the last time I smoked that it tasted delicious and smelled even better when I took a shower after cooking it and before eating it
cere19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2011, 10:51 PM   #14
Maddog's
Knows what a fatty is.

Right on with the supposition that a "rinse" of one nature or another will rejuvenate your abilities to appreciate the olafactory experience of smoked meats. But I would submit that if you were to simply wash your face thoroughly, to the point where you are actually rinsing your nose out, too and then rinse out your mouth, as well... you'd be on the right road to much fuller appreciation of your smokey wares. Get the smokey smell off of you. Maybe change your shirt, too. Dry off and go taste your smoked creation. You'll have a much more accurate appreciation for what you've produced. But the most important step of what I just suggested is rinsing out your NOSE. Why? Because there are three types of receptors in our body that contribute to the "sensation" or identification of FLAVOR. While one is certainly your tongue tasting it, another is your nose SMELLING it and ...hang onto your panty hose Herbert, here it comes... your tongue can only discern FIVE distinct qualities of taste while your olafactory function, aka your nose, can distinguish between HUNDREDS of tastes!!! Refresh your snoz and you'll be much mo betteh at "Tasting" your smoked meats. "It's twoo, it's twoo!"
( And just what ARE those five elements of taste perception detected by our taste buds? Ah, you know the answer to that...Salty, sweet, bitter, sour and woman, er, uh, um I meant, savory - yeah, that's the ticket! Most everything else we "taste" is actually thanks to our Nose!) Blow your nose and your food tastes better? Rinse it, blow it, run a clean hankie in one side and out the other...Do it however you prefer.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:28 AM   #15
Hub
Full Fledged Farker

Almost everything is over-smoked to at least some degree in competition cooking these days -- over-smoking has, unfortunately, become the norm. The best meat entries should have a carefully crafted balance of flavor (from meat, smoke, rub, sauce, etc.) but few cooks attain good balance.

I find it curious that the big restaurant chains use no smoke at all. Their ribs are par-boiled, quickly grilled, then slathered with bright red sweet ick. Could it be that the general public doesn't like smoke? Thankfully, there are still some mom & pop BBQ joints that understand how to smoke meat.
NOS American Made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
Author of [I][FONT=Times New Roman]Burn It In The Back Yard[/FONT][/I]
Grillin' and Smokin' like crazy for over 40 years :whoo:
[COLOR=red][I]There's No Smoke Alarm In My Outdoor Kitchen![/I][/COLOR]
Hub is offline   Reply With Quote