MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:13 PM   #1
ederan42
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Brisket question - always wrap in foil??

I am a new member of the forum, but I have been smoking on a WSM 18.5 for about a year now. I have tried brisket twice, the first time being a huge bust, and the second time being pretty damn good (if I do say so myself!) I have been asked to smoke a pork shoulder and a brisket for our family holiday gathering and I am wondering if everyone wraps their brisket. Any non-wrappers? Thanks for your help!!
ederan42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2011, 07:21 PM   #2
VoodoChild
is one Smokin' Farker

Try this Or use the search feature on the bottom of page or Use the Roadmap Listed And It will show you everything !!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/ar...p/t-46259.html
1- WEBER RANCH KETTLE
VoodoChild is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2011, 07:27 PM   #3
DirtyDirty00
is one Smokin' Farker

Listen to the advice on this forum. These guys know. My .02 even tho its prolly not even worth half that... I've cooked many briskets. I used to think they were good. They weren't. Now I've tried foil. Thought it was the solution. Was good. Now I tried hot n fast with no foil and that was really good.

I'm debating myself still foil v no foil. But I will say there is no substitute for the bark of an unfoiled brisket. And it is def 10000% possibly to get tender juicy unfoiled brisket as my last attempt had proven to me.

Wishlist:
22.5" WSM
DirtyDirty00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2011, 07:27 PM   #4
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Some wrap some don't. This is how I do it and the process is fool proof and always turns out great tasting, tender brisket.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=118271

Old 11-30-2011, 08:04 PM   #5
mbshop
Babbling Farker

i gave up on foil. i didn't see much differance so i just stopped. still happy with what i do.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:14 PM   #6
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

wrapping is a means to an and end.

depends on what means you're employing to get to what end determines whether or not to wrap.

search around, there are ALOT of opinions o the matter.

pick one that suits you and try to execute.

first and foremost, enjoy your cook.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2011, 08:14 PM   #7
Al Czervik

Name/Nickname : Scott/Mongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
Some wrap some don't. This is how I do it and the process is fool proof and always turns out great tasting, tender brisket.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=118271
Hey Bo... I was going to subscribe to your process but I'm not finding it on this think... I can see the finished briskie, but not the rest. Am I missing something?
(='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa
(")_(")
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2011, 09:35 PM   #8
Randbo
is one Smokin' Farker

I foil at 170 degrees internal temp. I add a cup of beef broth when I foil it and continue cooking it to 195 to 210 degrees internal temp and it probes easily. The resulting broth is YUMMY so I save it carefully! I put the leftovers in vacume bags and freeze. Just had some for dinner and remembered why i love to BBQ!!! good luck with your cook.

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-30-2011, 10:58 PM   #9
snyper77
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Czervik View Post
Hey Bo... I was going to subscribe to your process but I'm not finding it on this think... I can see the finished briskie, but not the rest. Am I missing something?
You are right Al.......there' no instructions on that link. Bo, hook us up.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:25 PM   #10
tmehlhorn
Full Fledged Farker

I dont wrap and smoke with cherry and hickory at around 300

Old 12-01-2011, 12:21 AM   #11
R2Egg2Q
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Czervik View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by snyper77 View Post
You are right Al.......there' no instructions on that link. Bo, hook us up.
I think Bo meant to post this thread which has his instructions: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=118462

As for foil, I get more consistent results when I foil so more often than not, I do foil.

BGEs: XL, Large, Small, Mini, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, MAK 1-Star General, Karubecue C-60, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA, Summit S-620 NG; custom BGE & Weber handles by brethren martyleach

CLICK HERE to join us in a BBQ Brethren Throwdown!
R2Egg2Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2011, 12:43 AM   #12
NorthwestBBQ

NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2011, 01:18 AM   #13
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2Egg2Q View Post
I think Bo meant to post this thread which has his instructions: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=118462

As for foil, I get more consistent results when I foil so more often than not, I do foil.

And R2Egg2Q does a really good brisket. I have had them several times and they rank as the best I have had.

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-01-2011, 04:48 AM   #14
frognot

Name/Nickname : Charles

i've been smoking at 350 and when internal temp hits 160, foiling with Dr Pepper (one can) and cooking until 200. Been happy with the last couple done that way.

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2011, 05:46 AM   #15
bdodd444
Knows what a fatty is.

I don't know if anyone caught the BBQ Central Radio show a couple of weeks ago on the stall and effects of foiling. It was the show with Meathead Goldwyn. Very informative and totally blew away my previous notion of the stall. Well worth checking out.
bdodd444 is offline   Reply With Quote