MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:32 PM   #1
porkingINpublic
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Finishing rubs?

I'm interested in the concept of a finishing rub... I'm debating ordering big poppa smokers "happy endings" I've heard he won a small comp somewhere using it..lol

What spice & flavored do u look for in a finishing rub?

And when exactly do you apply it?

Thanks

Old 11-27-2012, 05:37 PM   #2
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

I usually just use a little fleur de sel, but I did get some BP's Happy Ending Finishing Rub recently and I am very impressed with it, as I am his other rubs. It's just a little added somethin somethin that makes it pop. I've only gotten it recently and used it a couple times, and I'm very much looking forward to using it a lot more.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2012, 06:33 PM   #3
porkingINpublic
is one Smokin' Farker

Yea his $25 combo is a good deal. What kind of sauce do u use with his happy endings? Sweet? Original?

Old 11-27-2012, 07:30 PM   #4
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Smoking Guns makes one, called Gun Powder. My understanding is that it is the same rub, just ground finer. The finer grind is to give better coverage from a small amount and to hide it so it isn't visually seen. I think you want the same profile as already on the meat. This is common in competition cooking. It gives a blast of flavor to each bite. This is very common in comps.

I have occasionally sprinkled regular rub on my pork after pulling. I typically don't do this though. it all comes down to how much you want to wow people and how much effort those little incremental improvements are worth to you.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Smoking Guns has Gun Powder which is really good. Or take your favorite rub and run it through your coffee grinder and make your own.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:14 PM   #6
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

I recently used Cowtowns sweet spot rub. It's not as fine ground but it's pretty good. A little sweet and spicy makes for a savory finishing rub as it adds another layer of flavor.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2012, 10:45 PM   #7
porkingINpublic
is one Smokin' Farker

I used Simply Marvelouse Cherry as a finishing rub once. Tasted great... Wasn't sure what flavor the other guys were using, crap now I gotta order smokin guns finishing rub too! Lol

Old 11-27-2012, 11:33 PM   #8
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post
Smoking Guns makes one, called Gun Powder. My understanding is that it is the same rub, just ground finer. The finer grind is to give better coverage from a small amount and to hide it so it isn't visually seen. I think you want the same profile as already on the meat. This is common in competition cooking. It gives a blast of flavor to each bite. This is very common in comps.

I have occasionally sprinkled regular rub on my pork after pulling. I typically don't do this though. it all comes down to how much you want to wow people and how much effort those little incremental improvements are worth to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Parker View Post
Smoking Guns has Gun Powder which is really good. Or take your favorite rub and run it through your coffee grinder and make your own.
Yep, thumbs up on Gunpowder, and I have not tried the ones from Big Poppa. I do a super fine grind on one of my homemede rubs and jokingly call it "gold dust". I also do a super fine grind on Dizzy Pig's Dizzy Dust and use it as a finishing rub too.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2012, 11:45 PM   #9
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Dang, just had to try the Gunpowder.... I love Smokin' Guns Hot on chicken thighs.

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2012, 01:41 AM   #10
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Yup I too use a finishing rub but only when doing comps. I take my home made rub and add a bit more sweet,a touch of kosher salt and a very little heat and run it through the spice (coffee) grinder and use it lightly. My thinking is that there's areas on the meat that never get to see the rub as in the edges of cut ribs or deep inside a pork butt or brisket so why not drop some extra flavor on it. I use a salt shaker for this.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2012, 01:43 AM   #11
Fishawn
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Parker View Post
Or take your favorite rub and run it through your coffee grinder and make your own.
I really like the Mad Hunky run through a spice grinder to near powder form, dusted on ribs before serving & also like some smoked finishing salts........ Sometimes the texture of the smoked finishing salts can be a bit coarse for some IMO, but the addition of them is worth checking out IMO..... Mortar & Pestle them down a bit if you have a coarser grind, or quick pulse in a grinder.

Last edited by Fishawn; 11-28-2012 at 01:45 AM.. Reason: adding
Fishawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2012, 07:59 AM   #12
gtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkingINpublic View Post
Yea his $25 combo is a good deal. What kind of sauce do u use with his happy endings? Sweet? Original?
For various reasons (laziness key among them) I hardly ever sauce when I cook, so I haven't tried a sauce with these rubs.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2012, 08:14 PM   #13
porkingINpublic
is one Smokin' Farker

Does anyone know if Big Poppa gives a brethren discount?

Old 11-29-2012, 01:48 AM   #14
djqualls
Full Fledged Farker

Happy Endings is so good I'm about to put it on some coconut pie! His Money rub really is a whole new taste for Me! I'm really impressed with those two and a couple more of his.
djqualls is offline   Reply With Quote