MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:11 AM   #1
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Cast Iron?

Is it okay to make chili in a Lodge cast iron dutch oven if you are going to use tomatoes?

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2010, 09:24 AM   #2
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Absolutely! Just keep it moving. :)
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2010, 09:25 AM   #3
Bbq Bubba

P.S.
As long as your not cooking over gas.
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2010, 09:30 AM   #4
jestridge

I use cook over gas with the one I have , Most of the time cast is the only cookers or skillets I use.
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2010, 09:31 AM   #5
TNH2OSKIER
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Forgive my stupidity here but, what is wrong with tomatoes in cast iron?
TNH2OSKIER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2010, 09:32 AM   #6
Diamond State Smoker
Knows what a fatty is.

tomatoes are acidic

Old 01-09-2010, 09:51 AM   #7
TNH2OSKIER
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I know they are acidic..we have never had any trouble though..
TNH2OSKIER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2010, 09:55 AM   #8
aquablue22
Babbling Farker

I was just reading a recipe on line that said never to use cast with tomato base soups, sauces, etc. has the acid causes the "seasoning" to break down and the iron to pit. The article also said never to store tomato based soups, etc. in cast as it will do even more damage. I don't have lodge but I do have a lot of Le Crueset, but they are cast that is coated so I guess that's why i never had any prob.
2 - 18.5 Weber Kettle
1 - WSM Mini

I live in fear that my Wife will sell all my "TOYS" when I die for WHAT I told her I paid for them!!
aquablue22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2010, 09:56 AM   #9
sfbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

It was a good question as the acid is said to take off the seasoning in your cast iron. Seems to me if you have a very well seasoned DO or whatever you should be able to cook anything you want.
'08 Weber Genesis Gasser
SJG Tamale Pot Mini Smoker (SJG was a rescue)
and a Pyro FIL
sfbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2010, 10:04 AM   #10
Dale in GA
On the road to being a farker

As long as you have a well season Lodge or their pre-seasoned cast iron you are fine. The acidity of a few tomatoes in chili will not be a problem. If you were making a tomato based pasta sauce that requires long simmer time (3 to 4 hours) I would go with enamel lined cast iron or stainless steel.

I have made many batches of chili with diced tomatoes and sauce in my Lodge dutch oven. Just don't leave it overnight as the acidity will gradually breakdown the seasoning built up in the oven and impart a bit of metallic taste.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:31 PM   #11
swibirun
is one Smokin' Farker

I've done it many times and have not noticed any change to the seasoning of my dutch oven.
swibirun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2010, 12:56 PM   #12
thirdeye

I'm afraid that sometimes the tomato warning gets slightly misunderstood. Given that you have a properly seasoned CI skillet or Dutch oven, cooking with tomatos is just fine. It's storing something with tomatoes in it that should be avoided. So when you are done cooking, and everything has cooled down just transfer the leftovers to something else.... rinse your Dutch oven, dry it in the oven and lightly oil.

Now if your seasoning is still in the immature stages .... obviously it would not have the same defenses as a well seasoned skillet or Dutch oven, and this is where you see some of the warnings. For the same reason, you would not use a griddle with an immature seasoning to make pancakes either.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2010, 01:31 PM   #13
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Thank you all for the info. The chili is simmering now.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2010, 01:39 PM   #14
Hell Fire Grill
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
I'm afraid that sometimes the tomato warning gets slightly misunderstood. Given that you have a properly seasoned CI skillet or Dutch oven, cooking with tomatos is just fine. It's storing something with tomatoes in it that should be avoided. So when you are done cooking, and everything has cooled down just transfer the leftovers to something else.... rinse your Dutch oven, dry it in the oven and lightly oil.

Now if your seasoning is still in the immature stages .... obviously it would not have the same defenses as a well seasoned skillet or Dutch oven, and this is where you see some of the warnings. For the same reason, you would not use a griddle with an immature seasoning to make pancakes either.
This is what I have found to be true.
Hell Fire Grill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2010, 01:52 PM   #15
bigmo
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Given that you have a properly seasoned CI skillet or Dutch oven, cooking with tomatos is just fine. It's storing something with tomatoes in it that should be avoided.
As always Thirdeye has the words of wisdom.

I use a lodge cast iron dutch oven and wagner pan all the time for my chili without a bit of trouble.

a plain old kettle

bigmo is offline   Reply With Quote