MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:22 PM   #1
hcarter
Full Fledged Farker

Question A little advice.

Where do ya'll get your wood. ( I know I am opening myself up for some jokes here ) All I seem to be able to get are bags of mesquite. Anything else I can find is just small bags of Jack Daniel's wood chips. It's not bad, but I can't afford to buy 20 bags at a time. Any ideas are appreciated.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:25 PM   #2
K I N G P I N
Full Fledged Farker

I pick up wood off the streets when the tree guys don't take it. I use it for my wood burning stove and smoker. Lucked out with a truck full of cherry that one guy delivered to me. Had to split it myself.

WEBER SMOKEY MOUNTAIN
WEBER PERFORMER
FOUR SEASONS GASSER
Yellow thermapen
AKA-Crusty DippinTush

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...pinsgasser.jpg
K I N G P I N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2008, 12:27 PM   #3
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

In addition to mesquite, major grocery stores here also care chunks and chips of hickory. One store regularly carries Apple chips and used to occaisionally carry pecan. Haven't seen the latter for some time:( Both Lowes and HomeDepot also carry hickory chunks around here.

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2008, 12:32 PM   #4
NCGrimbo
is One Chatty Farker

There's a place near me that sells wood for fireplaces and will sometimes have hickory in stock. I buy it there, or if they are out of stock, I buy bags of Hickory chunks from Wal-Mart. I prefer the logs over the chunks, but you use what you can get.
"At what point did we forget that the Space Shuttle was, essentially, a program that strapped human beings to an explosion and tried to stab through the sky with fire and math? How jaded do we have to be to lose collective interest in that?" - Robert Brockway
-----------------------------------------------------------
Weber 26.5"
Yoder YS640

-NCGrimbo
NCGrimbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2008, 12:33 PM   #5
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have been known to bring some pulled pork or brisket over to the guys trimming the trees.... After that they are more than helpful, actually ended up with a whole apple tree cut to length one time...

Just make sure you know what you are getting... There are a number of trees (mostly of the pine variety) that can be VERY bad not only for your food, but you as well!!!!
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2008, 01:02 PM   #6
BigBarry
is One Chatty Farker

Check with Nurseries. They sometimes have smoking-quality woods from their tree trimming folks.
Webers: Smokey Mountains (2 18.5" and a 22.5") - Performer 22" Silver - Go AnyWhere Charcoal - Smokey Joe Platinum - Craigslist Silver Gasser
BBQ - Bring Beer Quick!
In the Land of the Pig, the Butcher is King!
BigBarry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2008, 01:07 PM   #7
Que'inKC
is one Smokin' Farker

I usually buy all my chunks at Westlake Ace Hardware...Around here they have a lot of varieties and you can buy chunks or logs...

WSM w/Mods
22" Weber Kettle - Gold
Country Smoker CS-450
KCBS Member #24405
CBJ #24405
[B]R Butts R Smokin Comp Team
[URL="http://www.rbuttsrsmokin.com"]www.rbuttsrsmokin.com[/URL]
[/B]
Que'inKC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2008, 01:09 PM   #8
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

craigslist - after storms
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2008, 01:28 PM   #9
Tinybud
Take a breath!

I hooked up with a small family owned sawmill. I take a 6' x 10' trailer with 3' sides on it, and get it loaded with hickory logs precut to 12-15 inches in length. I pay 100 bucks per load. That's the best thing to do, contact local sawmills and local tree trimming outfits.
6ft. Southern Yankee
Meadow Creek Caterer's Delight 108
Caldera Tallboy
Tinybud is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2008, 01:33 PM   #10
jrb03
Full Fledged Farker

It really is a regional issue. I dont think some people realize that good smoke wood is not available in every part of the country. I'm not sure what type of trees are up in columbus, but around here its mesquite and mesquite.

If your looking for a place to order wood chunks online, I have always found Cabelas to be great and reasonably priced. I order my cherry and apple chunks from them. Fruit wood is just not available in this region, so mail order is my only option. The chunks are perfect sized for my WSM and party. A 10 lb bag is $8.

They base their shipping on $ spent, not weight. Up to $25 is 4.95, and 25-50 spent is $7.95 shipping. I always order about 6 bags of chunks which is 60 lbs and it is only 7.95 shipping.

I can get all the mesquite or pecan I want locally, so I buy that wood by the cord for the offset cooker.

Pitmaker Vault
Pitmaker Grill-Meister

Backwoods Party
Backwoods Chubby

Weber Performer
WSM
Weber Smokey Joe Gold

Good Riddence
Peppercookers Trailer Offset
Chargriller Tailgate Grill
jrb03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2008, 01:37 PM   #11
Crüe-B-Cüe
is One Chatty Farker

If you have an Academy Sports near you they sell hickory and pecan in large bags for $9.00. They call them mini logs. They are all about 10" long and about 3" round. They usually have the bags of hickory, mesquite and pecan chunks too. If you needa larger supply the above ideas are great. I don't use enough to go to the tree guys. Especially with a UDS. They hardly use any.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:23 PM   #12
Kentuckiana Gib
Knows what a fatty is.

I get mine from the back lot mostly. Also from tree trimmers I know and a couple of hardwood lumber mills in the area. Check around for a steam engine club in your area that has summer and fall shows. If they have a saw mill running there will be some free offal.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:32 PM   #13
Big Mike
is one Smokin' Farker

WalMart, Lowes and Home Depot are the best places to look. Kroger and Meijer may also have some. I've noticed here in Dayton that it is pretty much just mesquite on the shelves as well. Luckily I still have a couple large bags of hickory chunks. I also have some Red Oak and Hickory logs stacked up in the garage that I can cut into chunks.

Big Mike
Eagle River Barbecue
Yoder YS640
Stumps Platinum 5 Trailer
Members Mark 8 Burner Gasser
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2008, 02:39 PM   #14
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

Pecan Grove, the Apple Producers, Back Yard (mesquite for grilling and fire), and BBQ Galore when I want to bite the bullet for some cherry chunks.
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2008, 02:54 PM   #15
smokinvic
is one Smokin' Farker

I guess were are lucky here on west coast. I found a place on line that countryhb had recommended to me also called the woodshed. They have all kinds of fruit tree wood, red oak, hickory. real good place, new owner is real nice, BBQ-er himself, and so BBQ-er friendly. They supply restaurants, but give us bbq-ers great prices also. I have also found a few sites on line that will ship firewood to you. worth a look... http://www.firewoodguy.com/. good luck!

"I am the Lizard King.... I can do anything."

"Out here on the perimeter there are no stars... out here we is stoned.... immaculate" - An American Poet
smokinvic is offline   Reply With Quote