logo

Where to buy butter pecan extract

ggriffi

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I want to make "Dr. Chickens" ham recipe and I can't find the butter pecan extract. Checked meijer and wallyworld. Anybody in chicago or nw indy know where I can find it?

Thanks,

g

No help on sources in Chicago but Dr. Chicken offers us these words on a substitute:

Watkins brand Butter Pecan extract...... There is no real substitute that I've found. I've replaced it a couple of times with a syrup we can find locally.... That is "Griffin's Butter Pecan syrup"..Use 1/2 cup of this in place of the Watkin's and cut back about 1/4 cup on the Light Karo syrup. It will not be too sweet! Trust me on this one! You'll still have that buttery-pecan flavor, it just won't be as pronounced.

go here http://www.spicebarn.com/ that's where i got mine. I've made that ham recipe before and it's..good..but...you'll have a lot of money in it buying all those spices and extracts. Worth the experience though, IMHO.

thirdeye said:
No help on sources in Chicago but Dr. Chicken offers us these words on a substitute:

Watkins brand Butter Pecan extract...... There is no real substitute that I've found. I've replaced it a couple of times with a syrup we can find locally.... That is "Griffin's Butter Pecan syrup"..Use 1/2 cup of this in place of the Watkin's and cut back about 1/4 cup on the Light Karo syrup. It will not be too sweet! Trust me on this one! You'll still have that buttery-pecan flavor, it just won't be as pronounced.

Hey third and all,

Thanks for the help. I just bought some syrup and will adjust on the Karo. Probably will be betting some of that extract after Thanksgiving.

g

thirdeye said:
Watkins brand Butter Pecan extract...... There is no real substitute that I've found. ........
I wonder if I stumbled on the 1/4T vs 1t recipe issue ..... looking at the Watkin's site, they have 'extract' and 'flavoring'. Extract is around $2.25 per oz and flavoring is #1.25 per oz. Seems reasonable that somewhere along the line the flavoring got used and it took close to 1t to substitiute for the extract. No big deal, except that those having trouble finding the extract might do fine with the flavoring .... especially since Spice Barn also has it.
Just a thought......

where to get it hah! thats crazy at the butter pecan extract store thats easy

Attn: You guys that get your stuff from Watkins. How does your package arrive? Is it in a box or padded jiffy or an envelope? Last year they sent me my extracts (for the double smoked ham) in a non-padded USPS Priority envelope. The first shipment - you guessed it - arrived all busted and dripping and smelling to high heaven.

So I emailed the dude and guess how he sent the 2nd package? Yep, the same way. I wrote him another email and blasted his arse.

Seems mine came from an independent local rep and not from the Watkins factory. Is that the way they do business?

ggriffi said:
I want to make "Dr. Chickens" ham recipe and I can't find the butter pecan extract. Checked meijer and wallyworld. Anybody in chicago or nw indy know where I can find it?

Thanks,

g

Do you have any Kroger stores in your area?

Back