MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 08-19-2006, 07:47 PM   #1
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default First Judging - Madison Ribberfest

Just got back a couple hours ago from Madison. I don't know the winners, as we left right after the judging.

Here are my main impressions from the weekend (I'll add more on my blog later):

1. The Ribberfest treats the judges pretty well. They had a nice reception on Friday, and had everything pretty well organized today.
2. There were a couple of judges that took it too seriously, as I expected. There were judges that really thought a lot of some judges that had judged a lot of comps... not cooked, but judged. There's nothing wrong with that, but...
3. Judging isn't hard to do at all... Cooking for a comp is a lot more than judging for several.
4. Maybe most important, I didn't think any of the entries I judges were any better, or often as good as, what we turn in. I think we're on the right track.
5. A lot of judges go too much by what they like or don't like, not if the entry is good on its own.
6. I really hate the take home coolers, though what I saw didn't seem to get misused.
7. I think cooks are in general more friendly than judges,though most of the judges today were pretty friendly.
8. My wife said there was a lot of bad brisket!
9. Dessert is a nice way to end the day; after very mediocre barbecue for the most part, the desserts were great!
10. It was kind of nice to go to a comp and NOT have to do all that work! (though I missed it at the same time)

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2006, 08:06 PM   #2
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Curt, glad you and your wife had a very good time. Someday I may take a judging class. No time this fall thats for sure. Was curious as to your dog and how he is doing.
Did you have good weather at the comp?

Mike

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. :shocked:"

"Heavily medicated for your protection. :doh:"

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2006, 08:24 PM   #3
cmcadams

Mike, First, thanks for asking about Woody. A good friend stayed with him. Last night, we hadn't heard from him by 6:30, and I was getting nervous. I started calling him about every 5 minutes, and we called a friend to come by to see if he was here or not. I was afraid something had happened to my friend as well as being worried about Woody. Turned out my friend just left his phone in the car, called me then and reported everything was fine. We were ready to drive back home and go back in the morning if needed... But Woody was well cared for and was fine when we got home. He continues to improve on his meds.

Second, the weather was warm, but not as warm as last year's Ribberfest. It's really a great site, right on the Ohio, in a gorgeous town with a lot of charm.

Livefire Whisky

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)

Old 08-22-2006, 01:20 PM   #4
cmcadams

I updated my blog with more stuff, including seeing how my predictions came out... I did ok on them, I guess.

Livefire Whisky

Old 08-23-2006, 07:11 PM   #5
Pork Chop
Full Fledged Farker

Default Madison

All in all I thought Madison was a great show. The event staff were spot on. Having the pool open was to "cool". The crowd for the most part were curteous to cook off times. And all you nuts and crackers that participated were GREAT!
We had a H*** of a time with all that we had time to meet and those ol' timers...thanks for the time you spent with us rookies.
I'll post pictures soon.
Jim
Pork Chop is offline   Reply With Quote