hamburger for chili

energyzer

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Has anyone smoked a tube of hamburger and then broke it apart and used it to make chili?

Not hamburger, I did it with a fatty. It worked out well.

I just make up a batch of chili, but it in the dutch oven and put the whole thing in the smoker...

Beef ribs

Can anyone direct me toward a good beef rib "how too" thread? I have searched around and gather that I want to smoke at 200-225 using the 3-2-1 method? Also, is there a membrane that I need to cut off the bone side of the rack?

Has anyone smoked a tube of hamburger and then broke it apart and used it to make chili?

Can anyone direct me toward a good beef rib "how too" thread? I have searched around and gather that I want to smoke at 200-225 using the 3-2-1 method? Also, is there a membrane that I need to cut off the bone side of the rack?

I've never seen anyone hijack their own thread before...

I think you would want to mix chili spices into the hamburger. You want the flavors of the chili to be in the meat rather than just in the gravy surrounding the meat. Also you will want to save the meat juices that cook out of the hamburger to use in your chili. If it is a high fat content meat you can use a gravy separator to remove some of the fat from the drippings before adding to your pot of chili. Let us know how it comes out. :-D

I have smoked a whole chicken for white chili. It was good so I think go on and put so smoke on the burger and try it.

I like to make the meat into big burger patties and then grill them over mesquite chunks that I let burn down. Then I just bring them inside and break em up in the pot and go from there. They don't even have to be cooked on the inside, just as long as you have that nice "charred" exterior. The mesquite gives alot of smoke flavor in a short amount of time.

I usually smoke a whole top or bottom round to about 140ish, then cube it and brown it for Chili, comes out awesome, nice chunks and good smoke flavor added.

Give it a whirl and report back with the results.I can't see the harm in it.:wink:

Sounds like it would work, or you could cook the chili in your smoker

I think you would want to mix chili spices into the hamburger. You want the flavors of the chili to be in the meat rather than just in the gravy surrounding the meat. Also you will want to save the meat juices that cook out of the hamburger to use in your chili. If it is a high fat content meat you can use a gravy separator to remove some of the fat from the drippings before adding to your pot of chili. Let us know how it comes out. :-D

I make a lot of chili and back in the 80's I had my own restaurant where I made gallons of chili every other day. I always mix the spices into the meat and cook before adding the other ingredients.

If you want to smoke I'd mix the spices into the meat and make pattys and then smoke .

I'm with Hoss, give it a try and let us know what you think about it. We all are interested in learning something from any of the brothers or sisters.

FWIW (not much), Wendy's uses leftover hamburger patties to make their chilli

I've started using pulled pork for my chilli. I likes it.

FWIW - For What It's Worth

I forgot about Wendy's chili. I worked there ages ago and made many batches of that stuff.

Most chili made with hamburger has the meat getting browned before any chili powder is added, so I see no reason at all why it can't be smoked to brown it to add flavor.

I usually smoke a whole top or bottom round to about 140ish, then cube it and brown it for Chili, comes out awesome, nice chunks and good smoke flavor added.

Same here. I've smoked round or chuck steaks (figure the steaks give more area exposed to the smoke, and take less time) to some "under-done" temp, then cube and brown in cast iron, then made the chili. I know I liked it. Try the hamburger idea, it might work well. Be sure to tell us how it comes out.

Back