Anything Buut

K-Train

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Entering my first Anything Butt here soon. Might turn in a bean dish. How the heck do I turn that in? Just spoon it into the clam shell as neatly as I can??

E-mail the organizer and ask. Often the rules will allow an alternate container as long as the official container is turned in at the same time. Or ask if they can provide cardboard soup containers that are marked (as an alternate container)

I got 2nd place last year with my Peach Bourbon Baked Beans. It was actually my first turn in ever in anything BBQ.

I just got some small glass dishes and turned them in like this:
BEANS.jpg

I didn't know to go fancy at all. The beans spoke for themselves though I guess because the dish that beat me was a full ribeye steak dinner cooked in a full kitchen by a cook that turns them out all day from a place literally across the street from the comp. They walked it across the street and turned it in.

You got the answer above, but there are WIDE variances in what is allowed for AB. DEFINITELY check with the organizaer to see what their parameters are for this competition. It could range from "gotta fit in the clamshell" all the way up to "literally anything goes, bring out the china and silver".

I got 2nd place last year with my Peach Bourbon Baked Beans. It was actually my first turn in ever in anything BBQ.

I just got some small glass dishes and turned them in like this:
BEANS.jpg

I didn't know to go fancy at all. The beans spoke for themselves though I guess because the dish that beat me was a full ribeye steak dinner cooked in a full kitchen by a cook that turns them out all day from a place literally across the street from the comp. They walked it across the street and turned it in.

That's just completly wrong. I'da hollered like hell.
Ed

We had a entry at BBQ'loo one year. The competition cook opened a can of VanDeKamps and poured it into the clamshell. I think he paid an additional $25 to enter the anything butt catagory.
Don't do that...
Ed

I hope not. This contest also has a desert category. Thinking about smoking some twinkies for that:grin:

the dish that beat me was a full ribeye steak dinner cooked in a full kitchen by a cook that turns them out all day from a place literally across the street from the comp. They walked it across the street and turned it in.

:mmph: I'm not sure where to even start with describing how wrong that is. I would be embarassed to pick up a prize that I won that way.

Back