• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Asian BBQ TD - In Progress, PRON Heavy

SmokinJohn

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
This would have been created last week, but there was a Red Flag warning here.

For my Asian BBQ entry, I chose a Pan-Asian route.
The dishes feature spices and/or ingredients normally associated with Asian cuisine.
One of the dishes comes from an area that is geographically in Africa, but whose people are actually Afro-Asiatic in ethnicity.
But.....all's fair in love and throwdowns, so here we go.

It looks like a lot of ingredients. And it is.

IMG_3204.JPG

IMG_3207.JPG

IMG_3208.JPG

Aleppo peppers (Thank you again, Sako!), Grape tomatoes, tomato paste, red onion, persian cucmber, garlic, lemons, limes, lemon grass,
salt, pepper, red pepper, red onion, ginger, rice vinegar, bay leaves, turmeric, cumin, coriander, red wine vinegar, harissa, olive oil, heavy whipping cream, coconut peanut butter, greek yogurt, fish sauce, Soy sauce and brown sugar (not shown).

Now the proteins:

chicken breast and flank steak.

IMG_3214.JPG

IMG_3220.JPG

Some of the breasts were cut into cubes, some left intact, and the tenders separated.

The tenders got a dusting of SPOG, and got stashed in the cooler.

IMG_3218.JPG

Next, I made a yogurt and Aleppo Pepper marinade.

A mixture of Aleppo Pepper, water, yogurt, lemons, garlic, salt, and tomato paste.

IMG_3212.JPG

IMG_3213.JPG

IMG_3216.JPG

I tossed in the cubed chicken. I put this in a bag, and into the cooler.

Next up: Harissa chicken: The harissa had to be enhanced (doctored) with a bit of olive oil, some more tomato paste, and about a 1/4 teaspoon salt.
IMG_3217.JPG

Put the remaining chicken breast in a plastic bag, and poured in the marinade. It joined the other chicken in the cooler.

Next up: Beef satay.
I cut the beef into strips against the grain.
IMG_3221.JPG

The bowl has lime juice, garlic, ginger, lemongrass, fish sauce, soy sauce, and brown sugar.
IMG_3224.JPG

I stirred it up, put it in a bag, added the beef, and you guessed it: into the cooler!
IMG_3226.JPG

Last, but not least: Curried mystery protein.
IMG_3227.JPG

What you see in front of you is my blend for curry. Stay tuned. The protein hasn't been prepped yet.

Last edited:
So many great flavors going on right there.

Looking forward to the rest of your post.

:pop2:

I'm impressed John and a bit jealous you don't live next door!

Sorry for the delay...

The mystery protein is Pork.

IMG_3228.JPG

Rubbed it with Blues Hog...

IMG_3229.JPG

Into the UDS, with some beef clod.

IMG_3230.JPG

Meanwhile, I need to make some sides....

IMG_3232.JPG

IMG_3233.JPG

1/2 red onion, sliced thin, Grape tomatoes, halved, chopped cilantro, a splash of harissa and salt. 1 down!

IMG_3234.JPG

IMG_3235.JPG

Persian cucumber, quartered and sliced. Mix with some rice vinegar and cilantro. 2 down!

Heavy whipping cream + Coconut Peanut Butter = peanut dip/spread. Pic at the end. 3 down!

IMG_3237.JPG

Shoulder and clod doing o.k. Tossed in 2 sweet potatoes.

Let's get that marinated bird on the grill!

IMG_3236.JPG

Here they are, ready for grilling.

IMG_0478.JPG

Done..

IMG_0479.JPG

Sliced the harissa marinated breasts and tossed them in the tomato, onion, and cilantro salad...

IMG_0483.JPG

Money shot! Those are the sweet potatoes in the left corner.

Before you ask, the shoulder didn't make it out in time for the pic, and it's probably better that way.

That cook looks great SmokinJohn.
Complex ang thoughtful. Photos look wonderful.

Now that's some serious cooking John! Looking and pretty sure with all those ingredients tasting killer. :thumb:

I can almost smell that, looks good.

Whats a Red Flag warning?

California is in drought status. The last time it really rained where I live was May 5th.

Winds can carry sparks miles and cause brushfires. Brushfires, earthquakes, and mudslides are three of the seasons in Southern California. (It's a joke, but it serious).

So when the state issues a red flag warning, there is sufficient danger of winds carrying sparks from outdoor fires to cause brushfires.

Outstanding John!! Not sure what I'd hit first, it all looks amazing. Well done Sir!!

Not sure which one I'd hit first either. I think I'd just waller in a tub of all of it and see what happens. :hungry:

John - that's some real cooking right there - wow! :clap2: Looks great!

Back