MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:50 AM   #1
morgaj1
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Wicked Edge Sharpener Review

I got a chance to use my new Wicked Edge Sharpener today. I got the basic kit which comes with the 100/200 grit and 400/600 grit diamond stones. I ordered separately the leather strops with 5micron and 3 micron paste. I also ordered the 800/1000 grit diamond stones, but they are on backorder. Here is what I received:

Poor quality pictures from my cell phone.

The kit does NOT come with a base. There are various paperstone and stone bases available for $45-$75. I just could not see spending that much money, so I bought a 1"x12" piece of pine for $6 at Lowe's. I used the included template to drill the holes and countersunk them.

As for the sharpener, I love it. I sharpened several knives this morning. One of them is a Pampered Chef utility knife that I have never been able to get a decent edge on. Well, now it cuts paper with ease.

Pros - Very well made unit. Sharpens knives to a razor-sharp, polished edge. Able to dial in exact angles. Calibrated from 15*-30* in 1 degree increments. You can get a 12* angle as well, it is just not marked. Holds knife extremely steady. Very well made diamond stones. Has a depth/alignment tool for consistency. Large range of stones available, from diamond to Chosera water stones to diamond pasted strops.

Cons - Expensive (but worth it). There is the potential to cut yourself as there are no guards to protect your fingers. There is a learning curve.

I couldn't be more pleased with this unit. I have been using a Lansky sharpener for years with mediocre results. Now, I am able to get a factory quality edge on a knife, which is something I have never been able to do. When deciding to purchase, I looked hard at both the Wicked Edge and Edge Pro Apex systems. I know that the Edge Pro is just as good, but for me, the Wicked Edge fits the bill.

Congress is like 2 drunks arguing about the bar tab on the Titanic.
morgaj1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 01-06-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Eric, thanks for the review!
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

I just watched a couple YouTube videos on that sharpener and I have to admit that it's probably the best one I have ever seen. Looks like its simple enough that anyone could use it. I might have to add that to a wishlist somewhere.... nice :)

Old 01-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #4
glh17
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for the review. I've got lots of sharpening tools but if I didn't I'd take a good look at this system.
glh17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2012, 05:27 PM   #5
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Just curious, what is the price point compared to the Apex? I remember looking at this one, but got the Apex instead
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #6
BoDean
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Apex 4 owner here. Awesome unit.
Never seen a WE in person, reead some good reviews on it.
BoDean is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #7
big brother smoke

Thanks for the review, Eric. Quite insightful!

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2012, 08:30 PM   #8
morgaj1
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke&Smoke View Post
Just curious, what is the price point compared to the Apex? I remember looking at this one, but got the Apex instead
It is about $50 or so more for a comparable model.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:32 PM   #9
morgaj1
is one Smokin' Farker

BTW, I now have very little hair on my left arm from shaving with the knives I have sharpened. I have sharpened every knife I could get my hands on today!

Old 01-06-2012, 09:58 PM   #10
ibrisky
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks for the review, been looking at this unit
Don't Burn The Day Away.....
[/I]
ibrisky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2012, 10:01 PM   #11
NorthwestBBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgaj1 View Post
BTW, I now have very little hair on my left arm from shaving with the knives I have sharpened. I have sharpened every knife I could get my hands on today!
LOL, I would do the same thing! Right on, bro.
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2012, 12:08 AM   #12
Soulman1282
On the road to being a farker

I had never heard of this thing before reading this thread. Now I want one SOOOO bad! Thanks a lot for giving me one more thing to lust over!

Old 01-07-2012, 06:59 AM   #13
morgaj1
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulman1282 View Post
I had never heard of this thing before reading this thread. Now I want one SOOOO bad! Thanks a lot for giving me one more thing to lust over!
No problem

Old 01-07-2012, 08:24 AM   #14
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

I considered buying on of these but ended up going with the Edge Pro. I just wasn't sure I could get used to the two handed process. I love my Edge Pro but I have heard a lot of good things about the Wicked Edge too.

FWIW, I switched from my left arm to my left leg calf. It is a little less inconspicuous when all the hair is missing

Old 01-07-2012, 10:15 AM   #15
Sly-one
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for the great review!
I'm trying to decide which sharpening system to get. Can anyone give a comparison of the sharpening results between the Wicked Edge and a Work Sharp system? I know they are completely different methods of sharpening (Work Sharp uses belts), but I'm wondering which would give the best edge, or would they be similar?
I've really liked what I've seen of the Wicked Edge on YouTube, and it seems like a fantastic way to sharpen, plus you can work on both sides of the knife at once. But, the Work Sharp is cheaper, seems pretty darned fast, easy and safe. Yes, I can be a klutz if I let my mind wander.....