MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:11 AM   #1
tuvok42
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default RIBS cooking times

When i cook 2 slabs at home in my UDS they take 4 hours or st louis and 3 for baby backs. At the Garry Maddox Challege i put 4 slabs of st louis on the top rack at 11.30 am and added 2 slabs of baby backs at 12.30pm. At 4.30pm (5hrs) the 4 slabs were not ready and the bbacks were a little over cooked. So I turned in the Baby Backs at the 5pm time. Can any one tell me how the times very so much.
tuvok42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2011, 07:23 AM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Practice conditions should match comp conditions as closely as possible. Had you ever done a practice cook like that one?

Also, the weight and thickness of the racks both affect cooking times. The ribs closer to the heat source cook faster also. Time is just a rough guide to doneness in my experience.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2011, 07:43 AM   #3
tuvok42

I didn't practise with 6 slabs i could'nt throw a party big enough to eat them all. So i tried to research cooking times with alot of meat. I should have put the big slabs closer to the bottom. i was running at 225 to 250 all day.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:48 AM   #4
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

welcome to the battlefield.

anyway, i had the same problem for my first few comps.

now, i use foil, and can finish ribs within 15 or so minutes of when i need them. i won't say every rack is perfect, but acceptable.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2011, 12:16 PM   #5
Goddahavit
is one Smokin' Farker

A full cooker can cook slower depending on airflow. also you can get ribs done close to each other but ribs can take longer, its happened to me. Also the more you look and check can add a lot of time to the cook.

And... 5 hours at 225 is not a lot of time, especially for thick spares.

Did you cook the chefs choice and chicken on the same cooker?
Backyard Jambo
Stump's Stretch
Bubba Keg
Weber WSM
Old weber gasser
Goddahavit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2011, 05:11 PM   #6
tuvok42

no i used a different cooker for chicken and chef choice. but a should have acounted for the extra meat. the garry madddoox ribs where bigger than what i'd practiced with.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:43 PM   #7
Goddahavit
is one Smokin' Farker

Yes, they were thick, best advise i can give is practice practice practice, neighbors, and friends love it, but were showing the effects, if you know what I mean, lol
Backyard Jambo
Stump's Stretch
Bubba Keg
Weber WSM
Old weber gasser
Goddahavit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2011, 06:09 PM   #8
huminie
is one Smokin' Farker

This is the type of challenge we all face and separates the good cooks from the wannabes. You have to account for everything during the cook...quantity of meat, opening the smoker, adding cold meat to the cooker, pre-heat time of the cooker (especially for insulated cookers), outside temps, wind, elevation...etc...etc... So many variables. Competition cooking requires attention to the smallest of details. Those that can recognize them and adjust accordingly consistently will do well. Those that can't will have hit or miss results at best.

It is all part of the game and the fun of what we do!

Old 08-17-2011, 08:13 PM   #9
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Before my first comp we were getting our practice ribs done in about 5 hours. When comp day came we had to turn in ribs that needed about another hour to cook. We couldn't understand why. The slabs were about the same size as what we had been cooking, and everything about the cooking process was the same from the time they went on the pit. Then we figured it out! In practice we had been taking the ribs out of the fridge, then trimming and seasoning them. Then we would fire up the pit and let it come up to temp. By this time the ribs were close to room temp.

Well at the comp, we had done all of our trimming and seasoning the night before, and then put the ribs on ice. The morning of the competition we let the pit come up to temp and then put the ribs on, sstraight on right out of the ice. Those ribs going on as cold as they did added at least an hour to the cook and resulted in a far less than stellar entry.

This may bear no resemblance to your situation, but what the others have said is true. The comp and practice need to be identical.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-17-2011, 08:30 PM   #10
tuvok42

Thanks everyone for your input. i will remember your advice in my next competition. im still waiting to see just how bad i did went the standings are published.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:13 PM   #11
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
Before my first comp we were getting our practice ribs done in about 5 hours. When comp day came we had to turn in ribs that needed about another hour to cook. We couldn't understand why. The slabs were about the same size as what we had been cooking, and everything about the cooking process was the same from the time they went on the pit. Then we figured it out! In practice we had been taking the ribs out of the fridge, then trimming and seasoning them. Then we would fire up the pit and let it come up to temp. By this time the ribs were close to room temp.

Well at the comp, we had done all of our trimming and seasoning the night before, and then put the ribs on ice. The morning of the competition we let the pit come up to temp and then put the ribs on, sstraight on right out of the ice. Those ribs going on as cold as they did added at least an hour to the cook and resulted in a far less than stellar entry.

This may bear no resemblance to your situation, but what the others have said is true. The comp and practice need to be identical.
this is excellent advice. excellent.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote