Roll Call. Inside 30 days. 6th Annual Glen Ellyn Backyard BBQ Cook-Off

Pig Daddy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
This Saturday, Sept. 13th marks our 6th Annual Backyard BBQ Cook-Off!

The event will be held in the Glenwood Ave. parking lot - Downtown Glen Ellyn [MAP]. It is open to the public at 11 AM and it is FREE!!!!!

We're the largest non-sanctioned BBQ cook-off in the State of Illinois. 60 teams will be competing for bragging rights and trophies.

In addition to the competition, we will be hosting 4 blues bands to include:

Chainsaw Dupont;
Buzz Kilman and the Blues Rocket Scientists;
Mud Morganfield (son of the legendary Muddy Waters) and
Steepwater Band

We will serving ice-cold beer and wine and vending BBQ to the public to include:

Husky Hog BBQ;
Real Urban BBQ and
Smokin' Will's

We have a bags contest, which room is still available for!

Raffles and a Kids' Zone!

We are family friendly!

And the best part, many Brethren are involved in one way or another!

For further information, any changes or updates to this contest please check www.glenellynbackyardbbq.com or [ame="http://www.facebook.com/GlenEllynBackyardBBQ"]www.facebook.com/GlenEllynBackyardBBQ[/ame].

— Pig Daddy
gebackyardbbq@gmail.com (630-890-0465)

Illinois This Butt's for 'Que will be there! Looking forward to it!

Smoking @ Sunrise!!!!

PS....are tents provided, or should we bring our own EZ-ups? From the email I got last week, it seems like you have a row of tent for the competitors.

Hi HOGIE,

You need to provide your own tent. Only 10x10s are allowed. Looking forward to meeting you. :clap2:

Also, unlike last year, meat inspection will be done at the judges tent.

The South Side Pit Men will be there. It will be our first time at the contest. We have heard nothing but good things. Really looking forward to it.

We prefer you buy a beer and use that cup if drinking brew. That said, Red Solo cups work, but need to be contained to within your cooking space. No walking around with bottles, cans or containers. And if asked (which is highly unlikely), all the suds in your cooler will be used as either part of your marinade or to fill your water tray. :p

Parsley Lady and I will be judging so we'll be wandering around before we check in and again after judging.

The way things have been going, we may be in need of a judge or two. :sad: Had someone cxl and am looking for a filler. If anyone has cooked kcbs and/or is a cbj, please let me know if you are available to judge. We'd need you there by 1pm.

Hey Ron L, this year as a token of our appreciation, after judging is complete we will be handing you and Parsley Lady two free tix for brewskis. :thumb:

Burr...hope it warms up some today. It has been raw the past 48 hours, I actually had to turn my furnace on just now, as it is 61* on the thermostat.
On top of the crappy weather, I came down with a cold yesterday:doh:

The Mrs. and I will be judging today. What interesting weather, Sept. 13th and the outside thermostat read 38 degrees at 5 am. Should be a great day no matter what.

Thank you Tom and crew for putting on another awesome event! I always have a great time in Glen Ellyn. This competition always brings out some of the best BBQ'ers around the Chicago area. Already looking forward to next year!

Thank you to all the Brethren who supported our event yesterday!!! You guys and gals are awesome and top notch!!!! :clap2:

Mid-way through the event I realized I should have ordered a Brethren Banner to put on stage behind the band. Pics and other info are on Facebook. More pics to come.

Thanks again!

Some year it won't conflict with Silver Lake, Michigan. I'd like to make it over.

The South Side Pit Men had a great time there. This will be on our calendar for next year. The organizers, volunteers and other contestants were about the nicest people you can meet. Meat, smoke, beer and the blues. How can you go wrong?

Here's a photo to give you an idea of how things looked throughout the day. This photo only shows maybe half of our footprint as teams were also on the street to the right, behind the trees (which you can't see). We booked 60 teams and 56 showed.

2014Crowd_zps5e9d1402.jpg

Grand Champion: Ace of Diamonds BBQ with our custom made, one-of-a-kind trophies...

grandchamp_zps10cdba97.jpg

Reserve Grand Champion: Hot Diggity Hog...

reservechamp_zpsfcbe58b9.jpg

Buzz Kilman and the Blues Rocket Scientists...

buzzkilman_zps9e2ae9d8.jpg

Chainsaw Dupont...

chaonsaw_zpsbdff396a.jpg

Mud Morganfield (eldest son of Muddy Waters)...

mudclose_zps1ed2b438.jpg

The Steepwater Band...

steep_zps280328e8.jpg

Me (on the left) finally enjoying a cold brewski and a stogie...

me_zpsa3e18337.jpg

My good buddy Greg (who co-chairs the event with me) and Lee Ann Whippen...

leeann_zps5d2f2355.jpg

Back