MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-02-2018, 02:18 PM   #1
DRMSMKER
Full Fledged Farker

Default UDS blanket options

I know people use the welding blankets ($25 @ harbor freight).
Also read where people use the 80% wool survival blankets (also $25)
I hike and people use this material to make pot koozies for cooking. (boil water, add dehydrated food, put lid on and put in koozie, then eat when ready)
anyone use this as a heat blanket for a uds in cold temps. Basically the reflective bubble insulation stuff.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Reflecti...6025/100012574
DRMSMKER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2018, 02:25 PM   #2
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-02-2018, 02:27 PM   #3
dadsr4

From the comments.
" the maximum service temperature for Reflectix is just 180 degrees F"
So you'd need to keep it away from the metal.

"Reflectix provides very little insulation value by itself. The R value claimed on the package depend on a sealed 'air gap' that you must create / build when you install it"
That said, I've seen something like that used by other's here.

Old 01-02-2018, 02:36 PM   #4
DRMSMKER
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsr4 View Post
From the comments.
" the maximum service temperature for Reflectix is just 180 degrees F"
So you'd need to keep it away from the metal.

"Reflectix provides very little insulation value by itself. The R value claimed on the package depend on a sealed 'air gap' that you must create / build when you install it"
That said, I've seen something like that used by other's here.

Thanks, yeah i just read the max temp rating. wonder if they make a higher rated one, but i guess by that point it will cost more and i should just get a welding blanket and be down with it.

Old 01-02-2018, 02:37 PM   #5
dsp2
Full Fledged Farker

I cooked all day on New Year's Eve. It was 7* F with wind chills below zero. Using a 15+ year old WSM, no insulation, no wind shield. Lit the WSM a little after noon, food on at 1:15pm, food off at 7pm, at which time it was still humming around 285*. A little after midnight I went outside to put it in the shed but there was still lit lump burning in it.

Amazing. My guess is a UDS can perform similarly.
dsp2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2018, 02:43 PM   #6
DRMSMKER
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsp2 View Post
I cooked all day on New Year's Eve. It was 7* F with wind chills below zero. Using a 15+ year old WSM, no insulation, no wind shield. Lit the WSM a little after noon, food on at 1:15pm, food off at 7pm, at which time it was still humming around 285*. A little after midnight I went outside to put it in the shed but there was still lit lump burning in it.

Amazing. My guess is a UDS can perform similarly.
I've cooked in the 30's but not in temps like now. I guess i'm just a worry wart and always want to be prepared. By UDS is also inside my screened in porch with solid walls half way up so wind isn't really an issue. Maybe i'm over thinking and don't need anything at all. Just hard to believe cooking in east cost moist cold weather won't have terrible affects on my temps with my thin gauge barrel.

Old 01-02-2018, 02:51 PM   #7
thirdeye

It's the wool blanket for me. I fold them so they are about 20" to 24" wide, which is 3-layers. One of these days I'm going to take a stitching awl or trussing needle and make the design permanent.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2018, 02:52 PM   #8
DustyQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Dusty

I did two butts and two corned beef "pastramis" on my UDS for New Year's Eve. It was 8-10F all day. Had the vents open much further than normal, but didn't have any trouble keeping 275-285F all day.
DustyQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2018, 02:58 PM   #9
DRMSMKER
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyQ View Post
I did two butts and two corned beef "pastramis" on my UDS for New Year's Eve. It was 8-10F all day. Had the vents open much further than normal, but didn't have any trouble keeping 275-285F all day.
How much worse was fuel consumption? How long were your cooks?

Old 01-02-2018, 04:56 PM   #10
mikemci
Babbling Farker

I have had my reflectix in direct contact with my UDS for about 2 years, with no ill effects. I can recommend it as a good insulator too.
red Thermapen

There are two kinds of countries in the world, those that use the metric system and the one that sent men to the moon and back.
mikemci is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2018, 05:08 PM   #11
mrboy
Full Fledged Farker

I cooked for 3+ hours yesterday on my UDS, no blanket, -14º F, no problem.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:15 PM   #12
THoey1963

Name/Nickname : Terry

I first bought a welding blanket. The first time I used it, I got glass fibers in my and and it worried me, what if that got into the food?

I made a Reflectix barrier, not really a blanket as there was a 3 to 4 inch gap between the Reflectix and my WSM. I wasn't sure how well it would work, it seemed kinda thin. Fired her up, got the meats on her, and set it up around her. Within minutes, the air between the Reflectix and the WSM was quite a bit warmer than the outside temp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WSM Shield.jpg (57.7 KB, 150 views)

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2018, 05:20 PM   #13
Beentown
is One Chatty Farker

-4 actual temp and went 14 hours at 250. Wrapped with moving blankets. The only contact point was at the rim and the rest draped freely. Checked on it for the first 6 hours and the blanket was just "warm".

Slept all night and it was still just warm in the AM.

I also monitor cooks via my cell phone and have alarms if it went 20 degrees over/under the desired temp.

I recommend the welding blankets as that is what I usually use but they were at the farm.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
SDG 26' Concession rig, Weber 22.5" x 3, RecTeq1250, UDS with IQ 110, Shirley Fabrication Cabinet Model 24x60 trailer, LS Grillz Large IVS w/offroad package (on the way), Humphreys Q'bed Pint, Assassin 48
Beentown is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-02-2018, 05:39 PM   #14
MeatyOakerSmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by THoey1963 View Post
I first bought a welding blanket. The first time I used it, I got glass fibers in my and and it worried me, what if that got into the food?

I made a Reflectix barrier, not really a blanket as there was a 3 to 4 inch gap between the Reflectix and my WSM. I wasn't sure how well it would work, it seemed kinda thin. Fired her up, got the meats on her, and set it up around her. Within minutes, the air between the Reflectix and the WSM was quite a bit warmer than the outside temp.
Is that the same Reflectix the OP posted? Looks much stiffer.
18.5" WSM (Model #2820)
UDS
La Caja China
COS - Oklahoma Joe Highlander
Lang 48 Patio
Grilla Silverbac Original
Formerly known as IbrahimSS
MeatyOakerSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2018, 05:58 PM   #15
DustyQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRMSMKER View Post
How much worse was fuel consumption? How long were your cooks?
Finished at about 10 hours. Loaded with 20lbs of kingsford blue. Honestly...been a bit too hung over the last couple days to clean the UDS and see what's left in the fire basket. Don't recover like I used to...
DustyQ is offline   Reply With Quote