MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-20-2018, 10:34 AM   #1
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Default LSG offset: Spritz vs no sprits on ribs side-by-side

This was fun. Troy and I got together and shot several videos last week. This morning he put up a brisket video on his channel, and I put up this one.

For years I never spritzed. I don't think I was "against" it as much as when I was learning I read some stuff that said it just slowed down the cooking process. Then I started hanging out with more competition cooks and almost all of them spritz. I can't say I noticed a huge difference either in flavor (or slowing down the cook) but I've never done a side by side test. That's where this idea came in. I wanted to see if there was a discernible difference in spritzing vs not spritzing.

Warning: It gets a little long at the end but we were really trying to determine the differences.

I hope you guys enjoy it.

https://youtu.be/BJCVqBBrKcE

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_xxVThreVc"] Brisket Throwdown: Weber Summit Charcoal Grill vs 2017 Kamado Joe Big Joe. [/URL]
Baby Back Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 12-20-2018, 10:44 AM   #2
lkissell
On the road to being a farker

Baby Back Maniac,

I just wanted to thank you for your contributions to this site, and for sharing your BBQ knowledge.

You videos are fun and informative, and have saved me time and mistakes as I refine by BBQ skills.

Great job!
Hunsaker Drum
lkissell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2018, 10:46 AM   #3
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've always said that while most dont spritz the list of those who do is extremely credible

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-20-2018, 11:04 AM   #4
Smokey Lonesome
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkissell View Post
Baby Back Maniac,

I just wanted to thank you for your contributions to this site, and for sharing your BBQ knowledge.

You videos are fun and informative, and have saved me time and mistakes as I refine by BBQ skills.

Great job!

^^^^^^^Totally Agree!!!

The secret of success is to do the common things uncommonly well. - John D. Rockefeller
Smokey Lonesome is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-20-2018, 11:31 AM   #5
dadsr4

What I came away with is that you thought Harry Soo's rub is better with some sugar added, which matches my experience with rubs on pork in general, pork requires more sweetness than beef or chicken.
Also, you should have sprayed the third rack with plain water, as the spraying vs no spraying added another variable.
I liked the music you started out with, what was it?

Old 12-20-2018, 12:01 PM   #6
TommyGipsson
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Tom

Enjoyed the video, but it didn't settle the debate for me. Think it does demonstrate, however, that the quality of the rack matters. Can't always tell by looking at a raw rack whether it will produce the right result (or at least I can't).
TommyGipsson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2018, 04:31 PM   #7
BBQscott
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyGipsson View Post
Enjoyed the video, but it didn't settle the debate for me. Think it does demonstrate, however, that the quality of the rack matters. Can't always tell by looking at a raw rack whether it will produce the right result (or at least I can't).

I agree with you here. The only way to truly know is to do another cook! Maybe this one could come out different... haha. Great video maniac! Love your channel and T-roys, always informative and entertaining. BBQ on brethren!
BBQscott is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2018, 06:31 PM   #8
Jason TQ

I always watch "the abridged" version, but good one again. Ribs were super thin (like really thin) and one isn't a big sample size to really determine if spritz is good/bad. But a good start. I like pickle juice/hot sauce if I spritz. Would be interesting to see multiple shots at this with thicker ribs to get a better sample size.

Maybe in my abridged watching I missed the wrapping, but did you wrap? The fast forward "scroll view" showed no wrapping at all which then really isn't comp style (in today's sense) and a little misleading. But I get titles and youtube to draw views . Lot's of great restaurants run naked and spritz, but the comp in the title to me isn't accurate at all. Also comp finishing at the end gets sauce, extra rub, and a bunch of other things.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:12 PM   #9
sthamm
Full Fledged Farker

Good video but I have a short attention span for most youtube videos over 5-10 minutes. Verdict: spritz is equivalent to no spritz except when sugar is in the mix. Makes sense. Liquid evaporates leaving the sugar behind.
sthamm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2018, 09:15 PM   #10
kevinstaggs
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Thanks for doing this. I absolutely love experiments. Honestly I wasn’t too surprised by the results but it’s always nice to have a real test to rely on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
kevinstaggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2018, 10:12 PM   #11
KB BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Kenny

Brother Justin, nice test and fun video to watch. I agree it's hard to get an even trio of ribs in a cryovac. Maybe having a few racks to choose from for each category would make the sample selection a little more even. If you need someone to help eat the leftovers just let me know.
4 WSM's 1 WGA and stuff to make Fire & Smoke

KB BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2018, 10:20 PM   #12
EyeBurnEverything
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Candice

In my experience a high sugar spritz like apple juice helps caramelization during the initial higher temps for setting a nice bark. But i always just add some brown sugar for that. In my opinion, if you plan to wrap mid way through, dont bother spritzing.
EyeBurnEverything is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2018, 04:51 PM   #13
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkissell View Post
Baby Back Maniac,

Great job!
Thank you. I really appreciate that.

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_xxVThreVc"] Brisket Throwdown: Weber Summit Charcoal Grill vs 2017 Kamado Joe Big Joe. [/URL]

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-21-2018, 04:55 PM   #14
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsr4 View Post
What I came away with is that you thought Harry Soo's rub is better with some sugar added, which matches my experience with rubs on pork in general, pork requires more sweetness than beef or chicken.
Also, you should have sprayed the third rack with plain water, as the spraying vs no spraying added another variable.
I liked the music you started out with, what was it?
Yeah, I will probably do a follow up video on this if people seem to watch it. There were a lot of different ways to cut this. water would have made sense. A salty non-sweet spritz might have been interesting. I would also be curious if there is a difference between straight apple juice and straight Apple cider vinegar.

That song is from Epidemic Sound. It's called "Mountain Air." I kinda like the mello feel to it. Kinda fits where I am in life right now. Thanks for noticing.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:00 PM   #15
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

Maybe for the next video you should add some credibility to my mayo vs ranch vs mustard slather for ribs

Tags
lone star grillz, LSG, ribs, spare ribs, Spritzing