• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

proper temp for pork baby backs??? thanks

dizzyBBQ18

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I usually cook pork to 160 so im wondering when you smoke does it change to a higher temp?
Thanks

i've never measured temp on ribs - when the meat starts to pull in a bit from the end of the bones and they pass the bend test, they are good to go. at 250 for 4 hours is usually good for me. the bend test = pick up the slab with a pair of tongs and bounce them slightly. If they are ready, the slab will bow until the meat starts to crack on the surface. A small crack means you need a little more time. It should be close to breaking when you lift the slab. You'll get the feel for this with practice. i got this from another site as it explains it easier than i could. hope this helps.

195 3-4 hours. Pull at 200. You will want to wrap them at some point in there as well.

For Baby Backs I smoke at 300 - 325 temp and they pass the bend test in a little over two hours. I also don't foil my ribs but will spritz with apple juice (motts for tots 40% less sugar).

195 3-4 hours. Pull at 200. You will want to wrap them at some point in there as well.

195? Is that the internal temp?

dizzy, it's hard to get a reliable temp reading on ribs since the meat relatively thin. If you are off by 1/4" then temp can change dramatically. The bend test as described above is a much better test. Or, you can use a toothpick between the bones and cook until it goes in easily.

BTW, if you are cooking pork chops, loins or tenderloins to 160, you're over cooking it. Pork is safe at 145 internal with a three minute rest.

Back