Must have mods for SF Smoker??

M&WCooking

Found some matches.
Reaction score
New to the forum and have been previously smoking on a gator pit that my father in law has and have finally put down a deposit on a SF trailer smoker. Was wondering what mods were a must have for the SF smokers looking at a 24*65 cabinet model. Thanks for the input everyone.

"Must Have" is very subjective and you're going to get a lot of suggestions :-D. While everything I have is probably not a "Must Have" I do like the shelf they added on my warmer. I guess a spare tire is kind of "Must Have", but maybe more of a "Should Have".

"Must Have" is very subjective and you're going to get a lot of suggestions :-D. While everything I have is probably not a "Must Have" I do like the shelf they added on my warmer. I guess a spare tire is kind of "Must Have", but maybe more of a "Should Have".

I have no spare tire and wouldn't consider one.. To be fair, most new cars don't come with spares anymore and my motorhome doesn't come with a spare. I do have a fix a flat kit and a good roadside assitance phone number.

IMO, the only "must have's" are the dual dampers and warming box. That, to me, makes a Shirley a Shirley. otherwise the design is just a well built reverse flow. The warming box and dampers gives the pit it's true versatility.

Agree Kinda

I have no spare tire and wouldn't consider one.. To be fair, most new cars don't come with spares anymore and my motorhome doesn't come with a spare. I do have a fix a flat kit and a good roadside assitance phone number.

IMO, the only "must have's" are the dual dampers and warming box. That, to me, makes a Shirley a Shirley. otherwise the design is just a well built reverse flow. The warming box and dampers gives the pit it's true versatility.

Unless you plan to do a lot of competitions and catering events, I would forgo the spare and maybe opt for the elevated cabinet or a stainless shelf. The list of options for the SF is endless. If you can think of it, it seems the Shirley's can fab it.

That's why I led with ""Must Have" is very subjective" :biggrin1:. So you helped prove my point. What is a "must have" for one isn't for another :loco:.

I'd know I would hate to have a full blow out on my trailer with zero spare. Others opinions and "must haves" may vary :-D

Unless you plan to do a lot of competitions and catering events, I would forgo the spare and maybe opt for the elevated cabinet or a stainless shelf. The list of options for the SF is endless. If you can think of it, it seems the Shirley's can fab it.

I have taken my shirley on 3 -500+ mile trips and one 2800 mile trip. I sell new Hyundai's and Toyota's and now over half the new inventory does not come with or even offer as an accessory a spare tire. I can call Road side assistance and have them out to me with a tire and mount it roadside for less than $100 over the shop cost and it's all done within a couple hours. I find people's obsession with spare tires on smokers crazy. But not everyone is as comfortable as I am with calling Roadside or AAA I guess.

I'll make this simple, just tell Tyler you want every option that is "currently" available for that sucker
tumblr_inline_ns4pnkqxed1t7z78b_500.gif

Last edited:
I have taken my shirley on 3 -500+ mile trips and one 2800 mile trip. I sell new Hyundai's and Toyota's and now over half the new inventory does not come with or even offer as an accessory a spare tire. I can call Road side assistance and have them out to me with a tire and mount it roadside for less than $100 over the shop cost and it's all done within a couple hours. I find people's obsession with spare tires on smokers crazy. But not everyone is as comfortable as I am with calling Roadside or AAA I guess.

It's pretty much an epidemic :caked:. Didn't know it hurt you inside :mrgreen:

Over the last few days there was a shirley mod post. Listed a link to a fairly comprehensive posting of mods. Not sure how up to date it was. I hope to get my may. I am only doing a few minor mods. Getting a yeti/beer holder built in the front shelf along with some tool holders. Added a additional 10 inches. Extended warmer height. Going to add a drop in baffle between the main chamber and firebox to use it as a verticals stick burner on the warmer only. That's all so far.

Thank you for the help we are going to start working on all the options we want this weekend and are on the list to have our smoker in November. I will let you know what all we end up doing and send some pictures out.

It's pretty much an epidemic :caked:. Didn't know it hurt you inside :mrgreen:

It's not all about you. I know you love making passive aggressive remarks and taking every quote as if it's somehow all about your special snowflake status. But in reality, this is a forum and all I was doing was building off your comment. So pull your head out of your ass and have a good day.

It's not all about you. I know you love making passive aggressive remarks and taking every quote as if it's somehow all about your special snowflake status. But in reality, this is a forum and all I was doing was building off your comment. So pull your head out of your ass and have a good day.

Someone has their sassy pants on :wink:. Was just having fun. Hence the smiley faces. I hope you have a good day as well :mrgreen:. Calm down :caked:

To be fair, most new cars don't come with spares anymore and my motorhome doesn't come with a spare.

So you're telling me that the salesman at Fiat when I just purchased a new 500L wasn't lying to me? When he said most new cars don't come with spares I was close to walking out as I felt that I could no longer trust his honesty. Consider me stunned

Agree here. I oddly didn't think about it myself and added a few after the fact to my toolbox Tyler built.
I added a yeti bottle opener to my build and I drink twist off bud lights.it sure looks cool though��

I added a yeti bottle opener to my build and I drink twist off bud lights.it sure looks cool though��
Pensacola Bay Brewery, Riptide Ale, something a little lighter Grayton 30A Beach Blonde Ale, Panhandle Brewery's (no twist off caps):wink:

Back