Need some help with new Lang 60

Fatmike

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I read that many Lang owners achieve a 5 degree difference from side to side(firebox to other end). Last night mine was 50 degrees difference. I hear people talk of raising and lowering the smoker? How does that work? Any other suggestions?
Thanks
Fat Mike

I have a camper level epoxyed to the top rail of the trailer near the sand jack. I give it half a bubble from dead level towards the drain.

Yup... bubble level.

Take the additional step and level your smoker (bubble level) left to right and front to back because of the reverse flow... any inclination would allow unbalanced heat build-up (temp difference).

Wow can't say I ever though of that! Does it really make a difference?

Is that the case more for the larger reverse flows or the shorter ones as well like the Lang 36? Does level also affect all horizontal smokers?

Don't know if it being level affects the smaller offsets or not, but I always level, or have it slightly out of level for heat flow, my Silver Smoker and my Mini Reverse Flow. Just one more thing to eliminate from the variable equation.

My lang 60 is always hotter at the firebox end. I smoke with mine mostly (eye ball) level and don't worry about the difference. I have just learned to cook things that can take the higher heat on one end and everytyhing else on the other end. I think it does make a difference with the nose up or down but just have learned to cook with it eye ball level.

Wow can't say I ever though of that! Does it really make a difference?

Consider the runoff water after a storm... as the water collects and seeks the lowest side on the road. If the road is absolutely level (no runoff) the road does not drain off front to back/side to side..

In the Lang... the smoke is like water but in a thermal gaseous medium, seeking the highest point (as thermal energy rises) ... try to maintain a level state on the baffle...to allow an even heat distribution.

Just an effort to eliminate hot/cold spots... how the steel is heated.

Last edited:
I go 1 bubble high when putting my chimney of lump in it, to get it drawing and heats quicker. Once I get the draft going, I then level it. I run 15° hot at the firebox end and 10°at the drain end and 8° difference from center. If I don't level it it can vary 20+ °

I have a new Lang 84 (one week), these guys are right about level. My temp gages are high (upper rack) on the fire box end, and low (lower rack) on other end. Have used oven temp gauges on both ends, temps are right on with gages. Top rack hotter than lower rack(heat rises) up to fifty degrees in the firing up stage then levels out slightly as every thing gets hot. Still playing with mine to control temps better.

I picked up my new Lang 84 4 days ago. The way Tom at Lang told me to adjust it was to open the grease drain raise the front to where the grease would barely trickle out. I have not fired it yet, will season and play around with it this weekend.

Question?
Are not the reverse flow baffels sloped in these rigs? If so is it not to assist in ease of flow of the exhaust/smoke?

Are you all leveling the rig or the baffels?
If the baffels were level would this create (for lack of a better term) dam or will the height of stack determine how well the draft pulls that smoke?

THanks,
Rick

Question?
Are not the reverse flow baffels sloped in these rigs? If so is it not to assist in ease of flow of the exhaust/smoke?

Are you all leveling the rig or the baffels?
If the baffels were level would this create (for lack of a better term) dam or will the height of stack determine how well the draft pulls that smoke?

THanks,
Rick

When the cooking grates are level... the baffle has a built in slope downward (right to left) to facilitate the grease drain which is centrally located along the baffle. The draft from the stack does the work.

(confirmed by a recent conversation with Ben Lang)

Thanks.

So when you all are raising or lowering the rig it is to effect the heat? To slow the heat traveling along the baffle out towards the stack?

Sorry but just thinking out loud. I like off sets and had never seen a reverse flow type till participating in this forum. I like the whole idea of them.
Thanks again.
Rick

Thanks.

So when you all are raising or lowering the rig it is to effect the heat? To slow the heat traveling along the baffle out towards the stack?

Thanks again.
Rick

Raising/lowering encourages even heating and radiate thru the reverse flow baffle.
Temp control is managed by the air intakes on the side firebox.

The baffle is watertight and serves a dual purpose... to hold charcoal on the baffle for a direct flame grill... not just a smoker.

lowering the front of the smoker increases or decreases the front temp?
Thanks guys for all the info

Back