Smoking with Beech?

JMSetzler

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Anyone ever smoked with Beech wood? I picked up a couple hundred pounds of it today from a tree my parents had removed from their yard...

Regularly.
My favourite for smallgoods.

Funny I was wondering the same thing since I just picked up a chit load, tree fell during the past winter!

I hear myron mixon does a lot of smoking with beech

Where have you heard this? He uses Peach wood, fresh cut, from what I know.

To the OP. Beech is good stuff. Especially for chicken and pork, such as tenderloin and small cuts. Even good with fish. Not quite assertive enough for big cuts like butts, picnics, shoulders, whole hog or brisket IMO. But it's nice to mix in with hickory or white oak when doing larger cuts like that.

I chopped it all down this morning and put it in my UDS with a single ring of charcoal around the bottom of the basket to help get the drying process started.

Where have you heard this? He uses Peach wood, fresh cut, from what I know.

To the OP. Beech is good stuff. Especially for chicken and pork, such as tenderloin and small cuts. Even good with fish. Not quite assertive enough for big cuts like butts, picnics, shoulders, whole hog or brisket IMO. But it's nice to mix in with hickory or white oak when doing larger cuts like that.
I thought I'd heard it on one of the bbq shows that he used beech wood and peach both maybe I heard wrong

Back