• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pork Burnt Ends

tortaboy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Smoked a couple of butts today because my son is about to go back to college, and he asked for some pulled pork burgers (Like in the Hardee's ad). In case you have not seen the ad...it features two bikini clad young women eating thick hamburgers covered with pulled pork. Judging by the waistline of the young ladies...I'm guessing they don't eat too many of the burgers they advertise. :becky:

...butt, I digress. :thumb:

Along with my butts, I bought a pack of pork cushion to see if I could make some good pork burnt ends. I rubbed the cushion meat with SM Cherry and put it in the egg until it hit about 160. Then, I cut the meat into cubes, sauced it, and seasoned it with salt, pepper, and garlic...and back onto the smoker.

I was cooking pretty hot today (300-325), so the burnt ends took as long as the butts (About 7 hours in total).

Good tasting meat. Everyone liked them.

Last edited:
Great pork burnt ends tortaboy! I can visualize getting my toes all sticky devouring these tender morsels. :rolleyes:

Not sure how I missed this, or how it didn't get more replies but it deserves to be back up on the front page. :thumb:

Looks good to me!

I've seen pork cushion, but didn't know what it was. Where on the hog does that come from?

Just so I'm clear on this - the bikini clad young ladies were covered in pulled pork while they ate hamburgers? RAD! :whoo:

Butt seriously - I'm curious about the cushion meat - I see it at Smart & Final all the time - what's the story on that stuff?

Nice looking grub btw! :clap2:

Just so I'm clear on this - the bikini clad young ladies were covered in pulled pork while they ate hamburgers? RAD! :whoo:

Butt seriously - I'm curious about the cushion meat - I see it at Smart & Final all the time - what's the story on that stuff?

Nice looking grub btw! :clap2:

Isn't it straight money muscle? Either way, that chit looks GOOD!!!

Just did a quick search and came up with this:

Pork shoulder cushions come from the pork shoulder picnic from the anterior side of the humerous bone; a triangular cut that is lean and flavorful. A slice or two from the cushion portion is usually removed prior to wrapping up a shoulder picnic to merchandise into cubed pork cutlets or pork stew for additional profits. A whole cushion can be removed from the side of the bone, then merchandised into more cutlets and stew and the remainder of the shoulder boned out for sausage, and the hock cut off and packaged in two's or four's as you process the entire case (a box usually contains 5-8 picnics depending on the packer and the meat manager decides the best merchandising of the case based on meatcounter needs and sales and profits objectives - one whole, two in half, two for hocks, cushions and pork stew and sausage, one whole sliced and tied, etc. - this is where cutting tests determine the best yields based on sale prices).

Below is a pork shoulder picnic roast, the cushion is cut off the bottom side at the bottom of the picture, diagonally along the humerous bone to the middle of the end of the roast on the right side:

Found it here and I just found this other place that seems to have good advice on a variety of subjects.

Just did a quick search and came up with this:

Found it here and I just found this other place that seems to have good advice on a variety of subjects.

Cushion meat looks very similar to pork sirloin. Not as much fat is running through the cushion like in a butt. Plenty of fat on the outside though. I left it all on to render.

Rather than cut it up and smoke it right off the bat, I smoked the cushions whole and let them accumulate a full bark on the outside of each cushion.

Cutting them into cubes right off the bat would have just dried them out.

The other thing I did was cut the cubes larger than I would have if I was making burnt ends out of brisket. Smaller cubes would have dried faster.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
You should make some tortas with the pork before the sauce.

I cooked so much last weekend that I was too busy eating giant meatballs to make tortas. :becky:

This was one of those cooks where I just wanted to test it out. After several tastes....the burn't ends went into the freezer for another day. :tsk:

Back