• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cooperative meat guy

Texas Turtle

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Wife and I stopped in our local HEB to pick up some ground veal for a meatloaf Friday night. The veal was in the "high dollar" meat section and while I was picking through the packages looking for one about a pound, the guy behind the counter asked if I needed help. I asked him I they had a rack of pork and he gave me a blank stare. Just then, the meat manager walked by and the other guy stopped him and told me to ask him. He said they just called it bone-in pork loin and he could hook me up any time. Asked if I wanted the chine bone removed and I said sure. He quoted me a price per pound and said he could beat that if I wanted a case. I have been looking everywhere around here and now I have a source. he asked if I was doing barbecue and when I said yes, he started talking about brisket prices being up and said he could cut me a deal on some prime briskets if I bought more than one. Sweet.:-D

Sounds like a real meatcutter..... they are a dying breed. Nowdays some of them use a box cutter more than a knife. Hehehee.

Next time you at HEB, throw him a curve ball and order two left handed briskets.

Sounds like all the HEB meat departments have good service except for 1...:heh:
What did he quote you for prime brisket???

Sounds like all the HEB meat departments have good service except for 1...:heh:
What did he quote you for prime brisket???

I think it was something like $4 per pound. He said that projections indicate that brisket prices will not come down during 2014.

Back