MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #31
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

well I am sure many a BBQ has been spoiled by a chef that fell alsleep mid cook long before these fancy electronic gadgets like this were around

and before there were fancy electronic gadgets like computers and the internet to complain on
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 09-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #32
Uncle JJ
Full Fledged Farker

Sleep, and miss smelling the sweet smoke, the peace & quiet, and watching the sun rise?

I'll sleep when I'm dead.
Uncle JJ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #33
Ye Olde Party Palace
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Terry4

Good discussion to have. Helps old and new alike. I prefer the 6 P method of cooking-Prior Planning Prevents P*ss Poor Performance. I sometimes tend to over plan things, but I try to plan for my own stupid mistakes. And...things generally turn out GREAT.

[FONT=Impact]Youth and enthusiasm are easily overcome by old age and treachery. :loco:[/FONT]
Ye Olde Party Palace is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2013, 03:40 PM   #34
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle JJ View Post
Sleep, and miss smelling the sweet smoke, the peace & quiet, and watching the sun rise?

I'll sleep when I'm dead.
I haven't read all of the replies but this one made me smile. Thanks Uncle JJ.

I've cooked two briskets (unattended) overnight in the drum and they turned out great. It's just not worth it for me to do overnight cooks this way. I live so far away from help, if one spark escaped, my barns and several hundred acres would burn before a fire department could get here.
Besides, I LOVE the peace and quiet of late night cooks. Just me and the coyotes out here.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2013, 04:39 PM   #35
landarc

A Maverick is a great cooking aid, if you rely on temperatures, they are indispensable. And yet, they have a very high failure rate amongst people who cook a lot. I have had multiple failures with Mavericks, including one competition, where we had 5 probes fail, and ended up cooking by feel.

That being said, cook as you want, and to JP, come on here and ask any question you want, speaking just for me, there will never be a stupid question, and I will always try to answer in a helpful and detailed manner. I don't believe in trusting a lit fire and not being awake, I grew up in the country and have a lot of respect for what a loose spark can do (that barn was an amazing site, yes indeedy). But, that doesn't mean I wouldn't love a Guru or Stoker for my UDS.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #36
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
. I don't believe in trusting a lit fire and not being awake, I grew up in the country and have a lot of respect for what a loose spark can do (that barn was an amazing site, yes indeedy). But, that doesn't mean I wouldn't love a Guru or Stoker for my UDS.
lol I'm old school. Still haven't convinced myself that I need a Thermapen.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #37
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP7794 View Post
I guess this was in reference to me this morning. It was more of an exception for me and I like to think that I can come here for help when needed. I understand your point but to be honest no one is making you read or respond to any thread here.

I don't call myself a pitmaster. I am nothing more than a member (and a subscribing one at that) that needed a little help with a cook this morning.
JP, I did not read BD's comment as directed at anyone, just a commentary that solid planning and developing a variety of cooking skills = good eats. For a lot of years I did all night 16+ hour cooks but in the last 18 months or so I would like to think I've gotten my arms around H&F techniques. I'll do either, depending on the circumstances and I'm a technology geek, but to me the most important thing is my cooking experience and knowledge has been expanded and when chit happens, as it certainly will, I think I'm better prepared to adapt & overcome. That said I (like you) want a place to ask questions when I need help and this is the best place I've found to get timely answers from great folks.

Last edited by dwfisk; 09-09-2013 at 05:28 PM..
dwfisk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #38
4uweque
Full Fledged Farker

I thought I was doing good when I finally learned my cooker well enough to get it going and go inside for a good nights sleep. I don't use any blowers or fancy thermometers, just know how to adjust the draft for the temp I want and probe to check when it's done. Some of y'all may think I'm lazy but that's just fine with me.

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-09-2013, 05:08 PM   #39
16Adams

Default S.t.a.n.

This weekend I ran through the house with meat shears in my hand and a Thermapen in my mouth and drove to the beer store-- Barefooted.

And y'all are worried about a wayward overnight spark?????

S.T.A.N.

(Sarcasm-wit-humor implied/intended)

Old 09-09-2013, 05:13 PM   #40
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Adams View Post
This weekend I ran through the house with meat shears in my hand and a Thermapen in my mouth and drove to the beer store-- Barefooted.

And y'all are worried about a wayward overnight spark?????

S.T.A.N.

(Sarcasm-wit-humor implied/intended)
LOL...funny stuff. A side note about the overnight spark...It's actually safer having the controller because the vents are closed where the sparks would come out of.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2013, 05:17 PM   #41
KingofTheCoals
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Captain Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffturnerjr View Post
I think there are two things happening here. 1.) legitimate questioning and maybe inexperience 2.) poor planning. Regarding 1.)....I think it is ABSOLUTELY FINE for people to use this forum to talk about mistakes, ask questions, or wig out on things going wrong. No one should make people feel inferior for asking questions.

Regarding number 2.), haven't we all had that, "oh my gosh moment..." When we need to feed people and its not ready? It is the grace we should have to help that brother in the moment but to admonish them to reconsider how they planned. The VERY FACT they starting cooking in the middle of the night tells you they at least had a plan. Maybe not a good one.

Therefore, simply remember where you were at at one point and help people who have questions or are wiggling out.

I've noticed a trend in multiple forums, whether its a BBQ, gun or motorcycle forum, it seems some of the founding or tenure members get tired of the newbies asking something, or doing something different than what they deem as correct.

It's BBQ.... if you mess it up, learn from it. Regardless of technology, pit type, and or time of day.

jeffturnerjr you said it right sir. Thank you.
KingofTheCoals is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2013, 05:18 PM   #42
landarc

Jeanie, I don't own a Thermapen, but, if I find one laying about, I can't help but take temperatures of all kinds of things. Smokejumper now makes me check it out and back in again.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #43
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

I can certainly see both sides of the discussion here. I do temp control for a living and have been trained to keep temps as precise as possible. For that reason I really enjoy the low n slow aspect of BBQ. I plan to have the time to do it. Heck, it's therapy to me. I will say this, the Thermapen changed my BBQ world from the first time I used it and cut my learning curve by at least half. The reason is, I could not even cook Toast before I got serious about BBQ. OH! And that probe on the Thermapen is just right for checking "probe tender".
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2013, 05:27 PM   #44
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

^ well those purple Thermapens must be extra special!

Old 09-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #45
nthole
Babbling Farker

Ah. Remember the old days when you could cook how you wanted, when you wanted on what you wanted with whatever for fuel and use whatever meat you wanted and put whatever sauce you wanted on it or not and you didn't have someone telling you that you were doing it wrong or the old school way or the new school way or the better way or the worse way.

I remember those days.

You make a mistake, you learn from it. You want some extra learning from it you can post a question or comment about it. Or you can use the search. But certainly, if we've all learned everything or it's all written down and there's no more questions to ask, then I guess we just move everything to a search db and we shut this place down.

That'd be sad.
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote