MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:55 AM   #1
The OC Kid
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Hog hunt - what to do with the meat

I hope every has a very merry Christmas and gets to spend some great time with your family.

I am going on my first hog hunt this up coming weekend and I hope to put some meat in the freezer. I have a couple questions for the group.

1. What have you guys used to store your game meat? Do you just wrap it in butcher paper and place in the freezer?

2. Do you guys do anything special to the meat prior to cooking?

thank you in advance for any responses
The OC Kid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
TuscaloosaQ
Babbling Farker

We kill many hogs on our farm in alabama. We make a lot of sausage, we break the meat down and put in gallon freezer bags for grinding later.

Merry Christmas to you also and good luck
TuscaloosaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2012, 11:14 AM   #3
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

We don't have hogs here in NJ, but I do get several deer a year.

Butcher paper is fine for short term storage, 3 months to 6 months should be plastic wrapped.

For long term storage use a vac-sealer, but I use the vac-sealer for all freezer storage short or long term. Just so much easier to handle and manage.

IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #4
unklechuckles19
Got Wood.

I always vacuum seal any game I kill.
unklechuckles19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
Hunterman95
is one Smokin' Farker

Going on a hog hunt in a couple of weeks myself. Can't wait. Been a couple of times before, and always took it to the processor. That guy makes some great sausage with it. Also like the cutlets breaded & fried. I was suprised that it really wasn't much different than farm-raised meat. I was expecting it to be gamey.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #6
Scooter B
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

It really depends on where you are in the world, but in most cases, shoot a small one. The bigger they are, the worse they taste. If there is someone to show you how to process it, just vacume bag what you get. Best thing to do with wild hog is make sausage.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-26-2012, 07:31 PM   #7
Tack
Full Fledged Farker

Hey IamMAdMan ther are feral hogs in the Clayton Franklinville area and they are legal to hunt during deer season

Old 12-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #8
bbqbull
Watching over us.

My buddy in Florida hunts them hogs many times a year.
They take them to a professional wild game processor and they cut them up, wrap and freeze them. Then they bring them home and toss in their freezer.
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2012, 09:40 PM   #9
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Good luck with your hunt!
I've not hunted hogs but I hunt deer. I cube some, grind some with pork fat for burger, cut back strap steaks and leave some back straps and roasts whole. Then double bag and freeze.
Hope to hunt hogs some day.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 08:45 PM   #10
HB-BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Where are you heading to hunt? I ask as i've been wanting to go hog hunting myself and was searching around in SoCal for a good place. I recently found a ranch in San Jacinto that offers upland game bird hunts as well as hog and coyote.

As far as storing/preparing game meat as well as any store bought meats/poultry and fish, try to get yourself a foodsaver if possible. I have vacu-sealed meats for six months to a year with no issues. If you belong to Sams club or Costco they both offer foodsaver starter kit that come with bags for around $100.
HB-BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 09:07 PM   #11
TremontBBQ
Got rid of the matchlight.

I have taken many wild feral hogs in TX. I agree with Scooter B, the bigger they are, the worse they taste. Look for 150 lbs or smaller for eating and put hogzilla on the wall. Wild hogs don't fill out like a domestic hog, but they are very good eating!! I freeze my game in ziploc freezer bags.

Make sure you stay allert during the hunt. Wild hogs can be very aggressive. I hade a pig charge me after I shot him. I had only seconds to finish the job with a second round.

Happy hunting!!

Last edited by TremontBBQ; 12-27-2012 at 11:44 PM.. Reason: sp
TremontBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 09:30 PM   #12
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Good call on harvesting the smaller ones for consumption.They are good eats.Butcher ASAP,put the meat in ice water,in a clean cooler,drain daily and keep it iced for a few days.This works well with venison too.The more you haul it around in the back of the truck,(in the daily replenished cooler of ice and water)sloshing around,the better.(do not let all the ice melt before adding more).If you want to make sausage,just cube,vac seal and bring it out when ready to grind.If you want hams,shoulders,loin,etc. just cut them as you normally would.If you do not have access to a vac sealer,I would wrap the cuts completely in plastic wrap then "correctly" in freezer paper.Good luck!

P.S. For the larger cuts I would highly recommend brining before smoking/ grilling/cooking.Just my $.02.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 09:36 PM   #13
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB-BBQ View Post
Where are you heading to hunt? I ask as i've been wanting to go hog hunting myself and was searching around in SoCal for a good place. I recently found a ranch in San Jacinto that offers upland game bird hunts as well as hog and coyote.

As far as storing/preparing game meat as well as any store bought meats/poultry and fish, try to get yourself a foodsaver if possible. I have vacu-sealed meats for six months to a year with no issues. If you belong to Sams club or Costco they both offer foodsaver starter kit that come with bags for around $100.
Be careful what you hunt out in that area.I THINK they have a lot of javelin in that area and they are not pigs,they are large rodents,not that there is anything wrong with that.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #14
boatnut
is One Chatty Farker

if you are going to grind and make sausage, be sure to add plenty of PORK back fat as wild hogs are very lean. I would recommend a 70/30 ratio of meat/fat for sausage and certainly not anymore then 80/20.

GOSM smoker (gas)
Masterbuilt (electric)
Weber Kettle
Weber Gasser (2)
Weber WSM

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2012, 09:08 PM   #15
Zin
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter B View Post
It really depends on where you are in the world, but in most cases, shoot a small one. The bigger they are, the worse they taste. If there is someone to show you how to process it, just vacume bag what you get. Best thing to do with wild hog is make sausage.
Wrong, the best thing to make with hog is Tamales.
Zin is offline   Reply With Quote