• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Electrical blow dryers

P

Pack-A-Smokes

MINUTES of the BOD Meeting on June 8, 2011): Tana Shupe - Asked that the minutes be approved as presented with the following change in the Rules Committee Report : It was determined that an electrical blow dryer is considered a secondary heat source, and may not be used at KCBS-sanctioned contests. Seconded by Wayne Lohma, the minutes were approved by a unanimous vote.

I had heard this but was unsure. I have seen a team in more than one competition use an electrical blow dryer very recently (within the last month). Does this take effect immediately or when the new rules come out for 2012?
When I saw the team doing this, I thought isn't that illegal now. Another team and I were talking and scratching our heads over it. I know since they ruled on the pork collar the reps have let it be known at comps.

I am not looking to get any particular team(s) in trouble. It would be a moot point now that the comps are over, but I would like to know.

Last blast turn in boxes.

Hmm... are fans legal if they don't contain the heating element? Like putting 5-6 coals in a handheld metal strainer, and blowing down with a handheld fan?

Hmm... are fans legal if they don't contain the heating element? Like putting 5-6 coals in a handheld metal strainer, and blowing down with a handheld fan?
Un-heated fans are not illegal. If they were, nobody could use any sort of computer controlled stoker fan system. This rule is specifically about heat sources, and according to this latest ruling, the team using a blow dryer to give the turn-in box one last blast of heat would be DQ'd.

The way I read the minutes, this ruling merely clarified the existing rule and is in effect immediately upon approval by the board. Could be I'm wrong... wouldn't surprise me one bit. :rolleyes:

This team was using it to blow air in the bottom of their WSM. Have seen them use it more than once. I don't know why they just don't use a Guru or Stoker, but I watched them plug in blow dryer and hold it at the bottom of the WSM for several mins. 2-3 times during the cook.

I'm thinking that using the blow dryer as a guru would only be legal if there was NO compitition meat on the cooker at the time, otherwise it would be illegal according to the rules. Then again, what do I know? :rolleyes:

Fan, no heating element, legal
Fan, heating element, illegal

To me this would mean no blow dryer after the meats are in the cooker, period.

Fan, no heating element, legal
Fan, heating element, illegal

To me this would mean no blow dryer after the meats are in the cooker, period.

What Matt said.

Speaking of blowers -- anyone know where to get those hand crank blowers that BGE had a while back?

Dollar Store 'po boy Guru!

IMG_0085.jpg

How is blowing a hair dryer at the bottom of a WSM illegal? I mean lets use some freakin' common sense. I can see not blasting a turn-in box, but clearly they were just using it to stoke the fire in the pit, not add heat. I don't think you can actually COOK meat with hair dryer!!!

And what about hair dryers that have the button that turns the heat off?

I get the 'integrity' of the cook concept...but sheesh.

Hair dryers can blow out alot of heat. 1500 watt heater element. Easily can raise the temp in a WSM 30-40 degrees and stoke the fire at the same time. Put your hand in front of the blow dryer on high just a few inches away from the nozzle. Third degree burns if you could hold it there for more than a few seconds! This doesn't seem like anything but a violation of the rules.

Modern hair dryers (which are up to 2000 watts) contain a safety switch that prevent the heat output from exceeding 140F, which isn't even out of the safety range for HOLDING food, so I call B.S. on raising the temperature of a pit that is IN USE by anything of any value since most of the heat will be lost in the air blowing toward the pit unless you cut a hole open large enough to actually insert the blow dryer, in which case now you actually have the heat inside the pit and thus are partially cooking on electric, which is actually illegal.

Just seems ridiculous to me. If you don't want someone blowing air into a pit then outlaw all air blowing technology...not just the solution that is accessible the cheapest.

Next thing you know they'll make it illegal to have sun hit your pit while you are cooking because the sunlight could be heating your pit!

Modern hair dryers (which are up to 2000 watts) contain a safety switch that prevent the heat output from exceeding 140F, which isn't even out of the safety range for HOLDING food, so I call B.S. on raising the temperature of a pit that is IN USE by anything of any value since most of the heat will be lost in the air blowing toward the pit unless you cut a hole open large enough to actually insert the blow dryer, in which case now you actually have the heat inside the pit and thus are partially cooking on electric, which is actually illegal.

Just seems ridiculous to me. If you don't want someone blowing air into a pit then outlaw all air blowing technology...not just the solution that is accessible the cheapest.

Next thing you know they'll make it illegal to have sun hit your pit while you are cooking because the sunlight could be heating your pit!

The same illegal logic applies to the "hot rod" starter in most pellet pits. Relight a pit with your food in it and you are out of bounds. If the hot rod comes on due to a reset and you have an active fire, then you are okay. But, if the fire it out, you gotta pull all of your meat before you restart.

Those pellet hot rods is the equivelant of cooking a packer brisket in an Easy Bake Oven. The food would rot before it was cooked if that was your only heat source. But those are the rules. The hair dryer seems pretty consistant with what KCBS has done in the past. I'm not surprised it is illegal.

Those pellet hot rods is the equivelant of cooking a packer brisket in an Easy Bake Oven. The food would rot before it was cooked if that was your only heat source.

That sir sounds like a challenge!!!! :becky:

But I'm gonna need a much bigger EBO!

I just checked my hairdryer my wife uses and it got to 178 on my thermometer probe, and its a 1500 watt. If your fire has gone out or is basically snuffed to low, by adding 178 degree heat will add heat to your smoker and will heat back up much, much quicker than a fan alone which will require the heat source to heat the air coming in also. Why the rules seem to be a side note to many is amazing! I guess they are for the other guy?

Back