MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-28-2018, 02:20 PM   #121
The Wookiee
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : %#$*

After nothing but Traeger timberline frustration I recently went with Mak 1 Star... love love love it. Doing some slow roasted tomatoes on there now, searing steaks for dinner (1s time). It was between Yoder and Mak for me and ultimately no one ever seems unhappy with Mak; Yoder folks are also in love by you hear some whatnots of frustration here and there...

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=260637 = my initial thoughts on it and lots of great discussion/input.

Last edited by The Wookiee; 05-28-2018 at 04:30 PM..
The Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 05-29-2018, 04:00 PM   #122
SmokePigTails
Knows what a fatty is.

Reality off having kids, one of them figure skating year round has killed my stick burner dreams. So I asm looking for a pellet grill that can handle northern weather, and allows me to step out to a rink. Thinking either Rec Tec Rt700, Yoder 640, or maybe Pitts and Spitts. Thoughts suggestions, is a comp cart worthwhile?
SmokePigTails is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2018, 04:02 PM   #123
SmokePigTails
Knows what a fatty is.

Also what general options do you find necessary, front shelves, extra rack?
SmokePigTails is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2018, 04:08 PM   #124
KevinJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokePigTails View Post
Reality off having kids, one of them figure skating year round has killed my stick burner dreams. So I asm looking for a pellet grill that can handle northern weather, and allows me to step out to a rink. Thinking either Rec Tec Rt700, Yoder 640, or maybe Pitts and Spitts. Thoughts suggestions, is a comp cart worthwhile?
Out of those 3 it would be the Yoder and I wouldn't own a Yoder without the Comp Cart.
WGA

:plane: [SIZE="2"][I]All American Moinkballer[/I][/SIZE] 🇺🇸
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2018, 04:24 PM   #125
SmokinCW
On the road to being a farker

Default Traeger Timberline suggested

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokePigTails View Post
You might want to consider one of the new Traeger Timberline models. They are double wall insulated. I have had my Timberline 1300 about a month and love it. It has lots of cooking capacity and very small temp fluctuations.

Old 05-29-2018, 05:38 PM   #126
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wookiee View Post
After nothing but Traeger timberline frustration I recently went with Mak 1 Star... love love love it. Doing some slow roasted tomatoes on there now, searing steaks for dinner (1s time). It was between Yoder and Mak for me and ultimately no one ever seems unhappy with Mak; Yoder folks are also in love by you hear some whatnots of frustration here and there...

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=260637 = my initial thoughts on it and lots of great discussion/input.
I am having the same issue right now. I am getting ready to order a new pellet grill and was set on the Yoder YS640, then the MAK 2Star General came into play. I just do not know which one I want now. I do know the 2 Star General is pricy. I am just wondering if the Yoder will cook as good as the MAK 2 Star General? $3K is allot of money for a pellet smoker.

Old 05-29-2018, 05:46 PM   #127
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklaDustDevil View Post
I went thru the same debate/decision last year with help from this forum. Got down to Memphis, Yoder, and Mak.

Nixed the Memphis because too much $ and set up more for grillin. I wanted a pellet smoker for overnight automatic smoking, and plan to keep grillin on my Weber. But if you want to grill with pellets, Memphis might be the best choice.

I liked the Yoder because it's set up like my stickburners. But chose the Mak because 1- the Yoder 640 was more $ than Mak 1-star, 2- read about too many paint problems with the Yoder, 3- figured the smaller volume and profile of the Mak might make it smokier, 4- liked the Mak's center burn pot and exhaust louvres instead of a stack for pellets, and 5- IMHO Mak has the best controller. You can program cooks with different phases at different temp's for different times, including programming an IT meat temp using the included probe. And it shifts from one to the other automatically all night while you sleep.

I love it so far; no issue with lack of smoke flavour; no need for smoke tubes; built solid, great delivery, packaging, and assembly; and Mak are great to work with. My only complaint is the cover is sort of a one-size-fits-all, and since I didn't get the side shelf it hangs like a big baggie on mine.
Sorry I missed this. Nice write up. I have looked at the 1 star and wondered if it would cook as good as the 2 star. I know the 2 star is allot more money, but I know if I get the 1 star, I will wish later that I bought the 2 Star and it will eat at me. Not something you buy all the time and would like this grill to be my last for along time. Just a question, do you believe the 1 star cooks as good as the 2 star and can you put in a top rack? I have never done an over night cook. I have gotten up early though to get things started. What do you cook overnight, Brisket? Thanks for the feedback.

Old 05-29-2018, 06:14 PM   #128
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rib Rub View Post
Sorry I missed this. Nice write up. I have looked at the 1 star and wondered if it would cook as good as the 2 star. I know the 2 star is allot more money, but I know if I get the 1 star, I will wish later that I bought the 2 Star and it will eat at me. Not something you buy all the time and would like this grill to be my last for along time. Just a question, do you believe the 1 star cooks as good as the 2 star and can you put in a top rack? I have never done an over night cook. I have gotten up early though to get things started. What do you cook overnight, Brisket? Thanks for the feedback.

I have owned and cooked on both. They both are phenomenal cookers. Really depends on your budget and priorities as far as what you need in a cooker. If just going for a killer smoker, the 1 Star is very hard to beat! If you want more than a smoker, the 2 Star is where it’s at, IMO.
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2018, 06:20 PM   #129
KevinJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
If you have the Flame Zone they cook exactly the same, you like the additional features the 2 Star offers then get the 2 Star. I purchased the 1 Star because it has the same grate space as the 2 Star with a smaller footprint which is what I need.
WGA

:plane: [SIZE="2"][I]All American Moinkballer[/I][/SIZE] 🇺🇸
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2018, 12:54 AM   #130
Chopjaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan View Post
New to the pellet scene, I just bought a Yoder YS640. I have only done 3 cooks with three different brands of pellets so far. So far so good as they say.

Good looking rig, man I bet you burn allot of pellets keeping that thing in the heat..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 05-30-2018, 12:57 AM   #131
Chopjaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Lonesome View Post
Any love out there for the Blazin Grill lineup? Seem to have several nice features like pellet dump, stainless racks and drip tray, and double-wall construction.

I just got the gridiron. Being delivered tomorrow..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 05-30-2018, 05:42 AM   #132
AutoPaint
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Regarding the re-flash on the Timberline, the 2.0.1 update seems to have fixed the ambient temperature thermometer which always read 25 degrees higher than it should and IMO cause the cook temp to fluctuate +/- 40 degrees when the outdoor temps were over 75 degrees.

That said, I can't wait to get rid of it and get a Mak. Does Mak and/or Big Poppa Smokers typically have Cyber Monday sales?
AutoPaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2018, 03:17 PM   #133
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
If you have the Flame Zone they cook exactly the same, you like the additional features the 2 Star offers then get the 2 Star. I purchased the 1 Star because it has the same grate space as the 2 Star with a smaller footprint which is what I need.
You are making sense. I certainly don’t need that warming box. I mean if they cook the same, then the 1 star may be good enough. Is the 1 star still insulated?

Old 05-30-2018, 04:50 PM   #134
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
You are making sense. I certainly don’t need that warming box. I mean if they cook the same, then the 1 star may be good enough. Is the 1 star still insulated?

None of the MAK’s are insulated. The 1 Star is a smoking machine though! :)
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2018, 05:35 PM   #135
lantern
is Blowin Smoke!

Here's a few things that have come off my 1 star with the flame zone. Love this thing.

BTW, it puts out crazy smoke with good pellets. I like this more because I raise the temps to make for a cleaner burn. Makes the 275 that I like cooking my ribs at give a nice smoke flavor while having the meat the texture I enjoy. I'm not the biggest fan of the taste from piles of smoke even if it's coming from pellets and the ability to give smoke flavor even at higher temps is a heck of a plus IMO.

Oakridge chile lime rub wings

Jerk wings

a few quickie strips

Some pork shoulder

Pork belly and pork belly Oklahoma onion burgers with blackstone assist

Thanks from: --->