Pork shoulder country ribs

Brian in So Cal

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Went to Vons today to pick up some Boston butt. Last day of sale. Going to try my hand at buckboard bacon. Noticed they had Pork shoulder country style ribs for .97 per pound. Picked up about 15 pounds. Just realized can these be smoked like regular pork ribs?

Any other suggestions on what to do with them?

Thanks,
Brian

Went to Vons today to pick up some Boston butt. Last day of sale. Going to try my hand at buckboard bacon. Noticed they had Pork shoulder country style ribs for .97 per pound. Picked up about 15 pounds. Just realized can these be smoked like regular pork ribs?

Any other suggestions on what to do with them?

Thanks,
Brian

I'd cook them more like a butt, but knowing that they wouldn't cook as long due to size.

I usually do a tomato, mustard, and vinegar marinade the day before.

I'd cook them more like a butt, but knowing that they wouldn't cook as long due to size.

I usually do a tomato, mustard, and vinegar marinade the day before.

Can you share this recipe? thanks!

2C canned tomato juice
1/2 C vinegar or apple cider vinegar
1/4 C prepared mustard
2 t sugar
2 t salt
1/2 t pepper

blend all ingredients in a blender or food processor. Mix enough to cover and let sit at least overnight.

Depending on your fuel source you may want to wrap in foil at some point to keep them from taking on a 'hammy' flavor. If you are going with a light load of wood for a little flavor there isn't a need to foil them.

I cook these by feel more than time or temp. I like them just short of 'fall apart' tender. That depends on how much fat and bone is in each piece. You'll know it when you feel it. For chef's choice take a smaller rib or a piece that pulls away and wrap it in a slice of bread.

1 for family. 1 for sister, 1 for friend, 1 to take to work. First time butts on big drum. Gonna fire up when I get home tomorrow.
Pappy's hot on all.

1 for family. 1 for sister, 1 for friend, 1 to take to work. First time butts on big drum. Gonna fire up when I get home tomorrow.
Pappy's hot on all.

Let me know how they turn out. I can't find the Pappy's hot. Only the Pappys regular and Half Salt. My Smart and Final (Fart and Smile) dosen't carry the hot.

Where do you get yours?

Back