MAK’ing some good ole’ fashioned weeknight burgers...

rwalters

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Pretty sure I could survive on burgers alone... lol.

a383029fd8e1365647d81f4813d5a41e.jpg

Those look good! Care to share any details? :becky:

Usually find and grind a really well marbled chuck roast. Was in a hurry and ended up grabbing some fresh 1/3lb pre-formed patties from Kroger. Seasoned them with Weber’s burger rub (love this stuff) and tossed them on the grill. Cooked them to 150-155° IT. Was surprised at how well these patties turned out. Won’t be the last time I buy them :)

Had burgers last week, went a different direction. I had a 3.3 pound Groabells (sp?) corn beef flat, soaked it overnight with a couple of water changes to leach out some salt. Ground it the next morning, formed into patties. The patties were a bit on the delicate side, I wasn't confident I could keep them together on the Weber Kettle, cooked them on the flat top (Blue Rhino Razer), no additional seasoning, wanted to try them 'as is'. Fixed with the usual suspects on a ciabatta bun.

They were excellent. I'll do corn beef burgers again.

Robb, yours look great, now I'm jonesing for a traditional burger.

Usually find and grind a really well marbled chuck roast. Was in a hurry and ended up grabbing some fresh 1/3lb pre-formed patties from Kroger. Seasoned them with Weber’s burger rub (love this stuff) and tossed them on the grill. Cooked them to 150-155° IT. Was surprised at how well these patties turned out. Won’t be the last time I buy them :)

Flame zone covers off? What temp did you cook at? How long did they take? How did they taste compared to doing them on a charcoal grill?

I have questions, you have answers!

Thanks!

Had burgers last week, went a different direction. I had a 3.3 pound Groabells (sp?) corn beef flat, soaked it overnight with a couple of water changes to leach out some salt. Ground it the next morning, formed into patties. The patties were a bit on the delicate side, I wasn't confident I could keep them together on the Weber Kettle, cooked them on the flat top (Blue Rhino Razer), no additional seasoning, wanted to try them 'as is'. Fixed with the usual suspects on a ciabatta bun.

They were excellent. I'll do corn beef burgers again.

Robb, yours look great, now I'm jonesing for a traditional burger.

No pics?!?! ;-)

Flame zone covers off? What temp did you cook at? How long did they take? How did they taste compared to doing them on a charcoal grill?

I have questions, you have answers!

Thanks!

FZ covers off... MAK sear grates on... 425°... about 4 mins side. They don’t have the charcoal taste but they are incredibly moist, with a nice grilled flavor AND you can taste the seasoning :)

Ain’t nothing wrong with a charcoal grilled burger (yum!)... but I sold my 26 kettle last year because I found myself never using it. I guess you could say I have become a pellet head through and through... lol.

Those look great and thans for all the good info. We have been using Longhorn steak seasoing for a while on beef including burgers but, might have to give the Weber a try. Been getting 1.99 fresh ground chuck from Meijer lately

FZ covers off... MAK sear grates on... 425°... about 4 mins side. They don’t have the charcoal taste but they are incredibly moist, with a nice grilled flavor AND you can taste the seasoning :)

Ain’t nothing wrong with a charcoal grilled burger (yum!)... but I sold my 26 kettle last year because I found myself never using it. I guess you could say I have become a pellet head through and through... lol.

Thanks as always.

A couple more unrelated question. Is the MAK Grills Mobile® Wifi add on worth it? Does it ever go on sale? I have the Thermoworks Smoke with the two probes so I can monitor the temps while I'm insides if I choose. I know you can do more with the MAK WiFi but not sure if it worth the extra investment.

Edit: I just saw that the Smoke Gateway is on sale for $57.85 which would allow me to monitor from my phone rather than having to use the Smoke's remote unit. That would be super convenient for monitoring temps.

That explains why the patties looked so consistent! Mine look pretty ragged when I make them. I have a burger press if I have the time and inclination.
Looks like Kroger is Ralph’s out here. May look into those. I’ve tried the various frozen options at Costco, but haven’t been impressed. It’s nice to have the convenience of pre-made frozen for those quick(er) meals.
Thanks for the details!

Thanks as always.

A couple more unrelated question. Is the MAK Grills Mobile[emoji2400] Wifi add on worth it? Does it ever go on sale? I have the Thermoworks Smoke with the two probes so I can monitor the temps while I'm insides if I choose. I know you can do more with the MAK WiFi but not sure if it worth the extra investment.

Edit: I just saw that the Smoke Gateway is on sale for $57.85 which would allow me to monitor from my phone rather than having to use the Smoke's remote unit. That would be super convenient for monitoring temps.

Nothing wrong with Smoke! That being said, I use MGM for 100% of my cooks. I love it!

That explains why the patties looked so consistent! Mine look pretty ragged when I make them. I have a burger press if I have the time and inclination.
Looks like Kroger is Ralph’s out here. May look into those. I’ve tried the various frozen options at Costco, but haven’t been impressed. It’s nice to have the convenience of pre-made frozen for those quick(er) meals.
Thanks for the details!

These are sold fresh in the meat dept... not frozen. Speaking of Costco, the frozen 1/3lb patties ain’t that bad IMO. If not overcooked, they are quite tasty and oh so easy :)

Back