MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:09 AM   #91
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Almost 5000 hits in a bit over 20 days. This is starting out to be another biggie!
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2010, 06:16 AM   #92
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phubar View Post
Some build pics:

UDS

MUDS

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2010, 06:23 AM   #93
airbalancer
Got rid of the matchlight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_pNTgfrhEI
Great pics
Cheers
airbalancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2010, 07:19 PM   #94
earthling30
Full Fledged Farker

Here's my setup.

My Weber lid wouldn't work so I made my own.

Before seasoning it, not sure if I'm going to use the pan setup or not

My charcoal basket is 12X12X7

Old 04-02-2010, 10:55 PM   #95
mranum
Full Fledged Farker

Suppose I might as well put mine in here too. My donor grill was a Kingsford and reused most of it including the legs which is now the dolly set under this one.

mranum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2010, 08:13 AM   #96
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

Here's my baby. Got the itch to start smoking so I built it over the winter and have used it 3 times so far (we've been having unseasonably nice weather here in Buffalo, NY).

Got the idea from Cowgirl's blog, but made a few changes to the original design.

Pay no attention to my messy apartment. I had to assemble it indoors.

Sean "Puffy" Coals is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-03-2010, 09:35 AM   #97
hath
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean "Puffy" Coals View Post
Here's my baby. Got the itch to start smoking so I built it over the winter and have used it 3 times so far (we've been having unseasonably nice weather here in Buffalo, NY).

Got the idea from Cowgirl's blog, but made a few changes to the original design.

Pay no attention to my messy apartment. I had to assemble it indoors.

Just curious.. is that a pvc pipe going into the smoker feeding the waterpan?

Old 04-03-2010, 05:11 PM   #98
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon
Default Needed another cooker so UDS

I needed another smoker so here is my UDS. I started bulding this mroning and just finsihed. Need to disassemble, burn out, paint and reassemble. Do the seasoning and then Inaugural cook. Used all SS hardware and have a lower cooking grate which can sub for a heat deflector if needed. The traditional bottle opener, 6" velocity stacks, lid hanger and baskset handle rotates out of the way for the bottom grate. I used a BGE draft door and a 4" thermometer I didn't realize how big this was until I opened the box. Stevie Wonder can spot this therm at 100 yards.
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove

Last edited by Bluesman; 07-11-2022 at 02:32 AM..
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2010, 06:20 PM   #99
dubster
Got Wood.

Here's mine. The green one was my first. The black one is a bit more portable. It also has a couple pork shoulders for pullin' in it currentley. Tomorrow the green one will be loaded with moink balls and abt's to take to moms for easter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1310168.jpg (37.8 KB, 3195 views)
File Type: jpg P2180031.jpg (34.5 KB, 3185 views)
dubster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2010, 06:52 PM   #100
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

My new drum on the right.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:53 PM   #101
rw02kr43
Full Fledged Farker

Default Uds

Jason
rw02kr43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2010, 11:02 PM   #102
Learnin Querve
Full Fledged Farker

Son was here today with his camera so I grabbed a pic of Big Ugly. It is my testament to building a UDS on the cheap. My first day logging on here, I started reading the UDS thread(s) (and still read the new posts) and decided that this was the easiest and most economical path to real Q. As much as I wanted to incorporate some of the great ideas that others have offered, I kept telling myself "No; stick with the KISS method."

It's an open top drum with a flat lid and band clamp. In it's previous life, the drum held insulated glass sealant. Burned it, followed up with a grinder over the interior. This is when I learned that a 24 grit flap wheel is no match for whatever type of gloves you're wearing...

The Weber lid was from a kettle found rotting away under a deck. No legs, no grates, and the bottom half nearly rusted away. I had spotted it laying there, and was driving by one day when the owner was pulling out of the driveway. She was happy to see it go, since it was too large to throw in the trash. I did have to unroll the edge of the lid and hammer it flat to get it to halfway fit. It's not 100% airtight, but it works. I still have and occasionally use the flat lid also.

For me, the real fun was the hunting and salvaging the stuff to do the build. Additional kettle style grills (all freebies) found on CL and curbs yielded grates and additional lids. A stop on a whim at a welding shop got me a 24" x 54" piece of expanded metal for a couple of coal baskets. A piece of coat hanger makes a dandy basket handle. I'm using disc magnets over my intake holes instead of pipe nipples and valves. I'm getting pretty good at sliding them open and closed them with the toe of my shoe.

Between the thermometer and the nuts and bolts, I think I have about $25 invested. I did pick up a couple of cheapo grills at Dollar General Store late last fall on closeout for $6 each, one of which is now my ashpan.

Is it perfect? No, but it's pretty darn close. I don't get to cook on it as often as I would like to, but so far, I've been pretty happy with everything that has come out of it. Based on personal experience, I too would encourage first time builders to read the UDS threads, and keep it simple.

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my_ugly_uds.jpg (122.9 KB, 3143 views)
Learnin Querve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2010, 11:55 PM   #103
hondad
Knows what a fatty is.

great to see a picture of your drum Chris! mine has gotten much dirtier since you saw it last.. i averaged at least 2 cooks a month through the winter, and am using the heck out of it again not that the weather has finally improved. did pork loins for a poker=party tonight, and doing chucks tomorrow. still loving my UDS.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:50 AM   #104
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hath View Post
Just curious.. is that a pvc pipe going into the smoker feeding the waterpan?
It's actually 1/2" copper pipe w/ elbow. After a few uses, i've realized it's unnecessary. Oh well. live and learn
Sean "Puffy" Coals is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2011, 10:02 PM   #105
Jamber
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default My UDS

Here she is.

Jamber is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
uds, UDS Photos, ugly drum smoker