Lettuce and parsley question

ZBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
How much leaf lettuce and parsley do you buy for a standard 4 meat comp?

Also, how do you store it to keep it fresh?

I plan on soaking it in ice water just a little bit before building the turn in boxes and then spinning it dry in a salad spinner. Is there anything wrong with spinning it dry? Will it hurt the appearance?

I normally buy 3 to 4 heads of lettuce for a comp depending on how good they look and a couple bunches of Parsley or Cilantro depending on which looks better that day. I just store mine in the cooler. If you are going to store it in a ice bath add some lemon juice or something to add some acid to the water to prevent oxidation and that will help it stay fresh also. I don't think that spinning it will hurt it in any way and might actually make it look better. I normally buy mine the day of the competition to make sure it is fresh.

Do you keep it in the plastic bags that you put them in at the store or transfer to something else?

Is there something else that would keep it fresher?

I have heard of people keeping herbs fresher by wrapping them in a damp paper towel and then putting them in a ziplock. Would this be worth the hassle to do?

I usually buy at least 4 heads of leaf lettuce and a couple of parsley...though we don't use parsley much.

If I get my act together I clean and seperate the lettuce before I leave the house and wrap it in a set paper towel before bagging it.

Iced water bath for both parsley and lettuce help crisp it up.

We keep it in a separate cooler to avoid damage. About an hour before the first turn in I sort through all of the lettuce to pick out the best leaves and put them in a bus pan full of ice water. About 30 minutes before turn in I pick out the best leaves out of those and dry each one and build the boxes. I put a damp paper towel on top of each box and then they go into a cooler to hold until we are ready for them.

I usely get three to four lettuce and two to three parsley. Ice bath on sat morning for a couple of hours to crisp and biuld my turn in boxes and cover with damp papper towel close lid and put in refrig.

I have heard of people keeping herbs fresher by wrapping them in a damp paper towel and then putting them in a ziplock. Would this be worth the hassle to do?

This works very well...

We buy two heads of lettuce and about 12 bunches of parsley. We always have it left over and share it if need by or toss it once turn-ins are over but it's worth it to have plenty for what we need. Parsley isn't expensive.

We bring it home, rinse it off and cut off the bottom 3 inches of the stems and put in a cooler standing upright in about an inch of ice and water. We cover the tops with a wet paper towel. No need to spin them dry. Besides... they look shinier if they're moist. The lettuce is chopped so we don't do much with it. Just keep it in the cooler standing up as well.

I think you need to define "hassle" based on the expense you go to for a contest in order to do well. If you want your entries to look their best because competing ain't cheap, there's very little I'd consider a hassle if it works! :wink: Hope that makes sense. It did when I THOUGHT it! :lol:

I Would be the wrong person to ask on this topic!! If I have to build a box myself, it will take no more than 2 min. TOPS!! I don't have the patients for Diddling. ( Another word for being Anal-- No offense Kick) I might mention that my neglected boxes have scored 2 -1st. place finishes this year!! I know that my brother will attribute his parsley placement to the wins.:wink:

I buy a case of parsley for about $12-15 and try to split it with another team when I can. If wrapped in damp paper towels, I can keep a 1/2 case for a following week's contest.

I think you need to define "hassle" based on the expense you go to for a contest in order to do well. If you want your entries to look their best because competing ain't cheap, there's very little I'd consider a hassle if it works! :wink: Hope that makes sense. It did when I THOUGHT it! :lol:

It sounds like it will be worth it because I want to do the best job I know how.:-D The reason I asked was I didn't know if that technique was just for storing them long term or if the parsley and lettuce would benefit from it since it will be used quickly and not stored for any length of time.

Thanks for the help guys!!:-D

I don't have the patients for Diddling. Another word for being Anal
I'm gonna keep my eye on you when I come out to pick up my smoker Jay!!:lol:
I keep hearing you talking about teabagging, diddling and being anal......been hearing some really funky stories about you too!:shock::wink::lol:

I usely get three to four lettuce and two to three parsley. Ice bath on sat morning for a couple of hours to crisp and biuld my turn in boxes and cover with damp papper towel close lid and put in refrig.

My parsley always wilts when I do the ice thing. Must be doing something wrong.

A hint for Dayton... go to Dorothy Lane Market (not far from the site) and get their sutff. It will be more expensive, but it's generally much better looking than others in the area.

We'll be out tonight picking out our site, then back tomorrow around noon.

I buy 8 bunches of parsley (was getting 10 but was having too much left over so 8 seems plenty) and wash it the night before and wrap em while still wet in paper towels and store in 2 gal zip lock bags. they go in separate cooler on top of the ice until they go in the boxes. I have done real good getting this at Wal mart for .59 cents a bunch until last time and my boss went for me and didn't ask the produce guy to bring out some more from the back and wound up getting some scragley bunches but they still worked fine.

A hint for Dayton... go to Dorothy Lane Market (not far from the site) and get their sutff. It will be more expensive, but it's generally much better looking than others in the area.

We'll be out tonight picking out our site, then back tomorrow around noon.

I see there are 3. Which one are you talking about Curt? I will swing by there on the way in tommorow if I figure out which one.

Washington Square is pretty close to the site. I was out there a bit ago; it's a great site... We'll be in among shade trees. Very nice.

Back