Spares and butts FIRST PICS

jacob

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Spares and butts FIRST PICS-FINSHED PICS

Here are the first of the pron from my cook today.

IMG_0735.jpg

IMG_0745.jpg

Looking good so far, four hours in.:-D

Last edited:
I would have to agree those are two very good looking cuts of Butt. Hope they turn out as good as they look.

more pics

6 hours in, Glazing ribs, their ready to come off.

IMG_0750.jpg

IMG_0752_1.jpg

Looking good so far.:-D :-D :-D :-D

Dem ribs look.....well.....searching for the word....got it.....FanFarkin'Tasitc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TIM

From the color of the meat on the ribs, it looks like they were "enhanced". Were they? I'm having a harder time finding ribs that are not enhanced around here.

From the color of the meat on the ribs, it looks like they were "enhanced". Were they? I'm having a harder time finding ribs that are not enhanced around here.
Yes I will if you tell me in what sence you are using the word enhanced.

enhanced ribs, are the ones that say on the package, enhanced with up to a 10% solution. basicly they are brined before u ever get em. make em take on the pinkish tint and make taste hammy. for instance. tyson ribs are enhanced.

Yeah, except those butts look awfully red-ish as well (in a good way) I was actually wondering if it was heavy cherry wood. Cherry seems to tint pork in a more 'red' hue. I am curious on the answer here as well.

Yeah, except those butts look awfully red-ish as well (in a good way) I was actually wondering if it was heavy cherry wood. Cherry seems to tint pork in a more 'red' hue. I am curious on the answer here as well.

I'm talking about the inside of the ribs, not the bark. They are pink all of the way through, not just on the outside. The 10% solution basically cures the meat as it cooks and they end up looking like ham. To me, they taste like ham (hence the term "hammy" :-D) instead of ribs. I'm also having a hard time finding pork tenderloins and even loins that are not enhanced.

I'm not picking on you, Jacob. My ribs looked like that a few weeks back when I didn't notice that the package said that they were enhanced. I bought them from the same store that i normally do and they have never carried enhanced ribs in the past so i didn't look.

Made a bed of coals with Hickory, then used a mixture of apple and pecan. 75% apple
I bought the ribs at Sams club. Nothing on lable says enhanced

Made a bed of coals with Hickory, then used a mixture of apple and pecan. 75% apple
I bought the ribs at Sams club. Nothing on lable says enhanced

Guess that is just the resutls of a darn good smoke. Looks fantastic to me in any case.

Back