MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-09-2015, 04:47 AM   #1
ByrdDogg
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default 3-2-1 rule of thumb

I've really enjoyed this site, and being inexperienced it's been very informative and helpful. A lot of learning and a lot to be learned.
So I understand the 3-2-1 rule of thumb for a full slab of ribs. My "Q" for yall today is at what temperature does this apply to?
Do most successful cooks use the same temperatures to smoke different cuts of meat?
ByrdDogg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2015, 04:53 AM   #2
LarryO1947
is one Smokin' Farker

Usually 3-2-1 is at 225 Degrees.
Maverick ET-733 Redi Chek
ThermoPop[/B][/COLOR][/FONT]
LarryO1947 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-09-2015, 04:56 AM   #3
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

3.2.1 applies to 225* a temp I personally haven't used in a long time.

275* is my base temp and I cook mostly st louis cut. For me it's more like 2_.75_.5

Old 05-09-2015, 04:59 AM   #4
ByrdDogg
Got rid of the matchlight.

Is the 225 "base temp" applied to brisket and chicken as well?
ByrdDogg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2015, 05:06 AM   #5
lantern
is Blowin Smoke!

The best advice I can give you is that there is NO rule of thumb in BBQ. We are dealing with large cuts of meat from different animals so times and temps can hardly ever be put into a box like that on a regular basis. So, the "it's done when it's done" mantra is the way to go.

But, I will answer your question.

The temps are for 225 degrees for a St Louis cut spare and up to 250 for full and meaty spares.....if you want the time to be 3, 2, 1.

But, this method is more about looks than anything IMO. So, instead of looking for an amount of time(3 hours) you should be looking at what COLOR your ribs are and wrap them when they are a color that you think is pleasing to the eye. The amount of time in foil will vary A LOT depending on how high your temps are. So check for tenderness after 1 hour at the most to keep from serving rib soup.

I personally do my ribs at 250-275 without foil depending on the sugar content of my rubs. But that's not what ya asked about and another conversation.

ENJOY your ribs and the cook!!!

EDIT: Dangit! I got NINJIED!!!

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-09-2015, 05:11 AM   #6
lantern
is Blowin Smoke!

Brisket and pork can be cooked at around the same temps which is anywhere from 225- 300ish.

But chicken needs to be done around 325-350 to get the skin crispy. At 225 the skin on chicken can get humorously tough.

Old 05-09-2015, 05:12 AM   #7
smoke ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByrdDogg View Post
Is the 225 "base temp" applied to brisket and chicken as well?
If i ever find the guy who came up with 225 is the base temp for bbq I'm gonna gut punch him.

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-09-2015, 05:41 AM   #8
TonyT
is one Smokin' Farker

I didn't even know that people actually used the literal 3-2-1. I always thought it was just an easy way to memorize the gist of it. I usually smoke 250-300, so mine look more like 3-1-1, or 3-1-0.5. I learned it more as ~3hrs to get the smoke and color you want, ~1-2hrs foil to speed up cooking/get it tender/look for pull back, ~0.5-1hr to finish.

All these numbers are just general guidelines. I agree with Lantern, the only rule is it's done when it's done.
TonyT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2015, 06:09 AM   #9
kolky
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
3.2.1 applies to 225* a temp I personally haven't used in a long time.

275* is my base temp and I cook mostly st louis cut. For me it's more like 2_.75_.5
This right here is exactly what I do. If you try sticking to the 3-2-1 times at anything higher than 225 you'll overcook the ribs and turn them to mush.

Old 05-09-2015, 07:55 AM   #10
Blanton
is One Chatty Farker

I remember the days I used to cook by time, never considering what I was seeing

Old 05-09-2015, 08:05 AM   #11
Joe Black
Babbling Farker

Lantern has you spot on. Different thickness and density will dictate how long to cook, after you have your desired color. 3-2-1 is a guide that cavemen came up with when they were using open flames and dinosaur ribs. Good luck, Joe
Joe Black is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2015, 08:15 AM   #12
Shagdog
Quintessential Chatty Farker

As you've probably guessed by now, not a lot of 3-2-1 fans around here.

My best advice is to rub some ribs with your favorite rub (or ask for suggestions) and put your ribs on the grill till they're done. Don't mess with foil and all that. The ribs will probably come out better for a first timer without taking the chance of over cooking them in foil. The difference between foiled and non foiled is so minor I just don't think it's worth the risk. Anyway, rub em and smoke em till they bend a perfect 90 degrees when you pick them up (bend test) or a toothpick will slide in between the bones with no resistance. I think the toothpick test works a little better. As for temp, anywhere between 225 and 300 is totally fine. The hotter you cook, the sooner you can eat.

[COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2]Shirley Fabrication 24x70 Trailer - UDS - Weber Kettle - WGA - Fire Pit Rotisserie - Shirley-Shagstone Griddle/Wok Cart - Carson Rodizio

[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Black]2016 Official BBQ Brethren Ribeye Master[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=Silver]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Shagdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-09-2015, 08:58 AM   #13
Bludawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
If i ever find the guy who came up with 225 is the base temp for bbq I'm gonna gut punch him.

BBQ RULES FOR SUCCESS

"YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMP OR BY TIME(XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL!"
For a Brisket that is probe tender inthe thickest part of the Flat, Pork Butts when the Bone wiggles lose, Ribs pass the Bend Test. These are the only reliable methods to indicate the proper time to declare the cook completed with success.

Directions are on the label any ????

Old 05-09-2015, 09:47 AM   #14
Jason TQ

Roll with whatever temp you are comfortable with brother. Use that 3-2-1 as a guideline starting at 225. Then try some other temps with shorter cooking periods for the 3 steps. And of course try them without foil too. I still roll 3-2-1 for events and reproduce the exact same ribs every time in 6 hours. I like the toothpick test vs the bend. The bend can be a false indicator for me. I don't use it, but plenty of others do. So find what combo of stuff you like and all suggestions here are great as you can pick and choose the ideas you like and run with them to formulate your method.

Good luck!

Old 05-09-2015, 09:52 AM   #15
Doug Crann
is one Smokin' Farker

Up until yesterday I did ribs the 321@225*. Yesterday still used 225* but no foil. At the 5 hour mark they were probe tender and cracked when I lifted them at the end. Very juicy, just short of fall off the bone.

Tags
Beginners, temperature