MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #151
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

[QUOTE=MilitantSquatter;2315880]Hanging meat works for this guy...

I get it... I really do... I just don't think I'll ever get to the point where I feel that I need to have a UDS, PBC (say what you will but this is a UDS w meat hooks)....[/QUOTE]

Well said! I agree! Now, to the first comment. Not trying to hijack this too much, BUT if Kirk likes to hang his meat, could there be some substance to let's say hangin it, and letting gravity stretch out all the muscles, fibers etc which might make for a better product (I could maybe see this more with a girthy cut like brisket) in the end VS kinda bunching it all up horizontally on a grate?
Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #152
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
Hanging meat works for this guy...

I get it... I really do... I just don't think I'll ever get to the point where I feel that I need to have a UDS, PBC (say what you will but this is a UDS w/ meat hooks)....
I thought the exact same thing...until I tried it. I wrestled with the PBC purchase for awhile... UNTIL I started talking to people that had been around the block a few times (as in cooked on a good number of BBQ's), and had nothing but praise for this little barrel. In fact, it has most people stumped when they cook on it... How does it cook SO evenly? How does it NOT scorch ribs when they are 1-2 inches from touching the coals? How come the meat retains SO much moister? No foiling of ribs anymore, SERIOUSLY?? The food actually tastes BETTER without the use of wood chunks??

I guess you just have to try/experience it to believe it!!
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #153
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
I get it... I really do... I just don't think I'll ever get to the point where I feel that I need to have a UDS, PBC (say what you will but this is a UDS w/ meat hooks)....
Well, not really because its not ugly and its manufactured by someone. Whereas most of our UDS's are, well Ugly and built at home. But other than that, of course it is.

Looking forward to cooking next to one at the same temperature with the same meat, so someone can show me how the meat tastes different as has been reported.

For the record I have about $175.00 materials per drum for both of mine, however, if I was to charge my self for hours to build, it would be well over $225 so the product seems like a value. I hope he sells millions, makes a bunch of money and folks at home make awesome que with them.

But lets quit pretending its anything other than a drum with meat hooks.
RangerJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-03-2013, 08:31 PM   #154
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
The food actually tastes BETTER without the use of wood chunks??
Really
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #155
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

And because Pitmaster T was talking about Butts in the vernacular and since we are talking about hanging meat...

A recent picture from an Austin Que joint and their process of cooking Butts..

RangerJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #156
slammmed
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision View Post
You know, this is how cults start.
Lol amen!
slammmed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 10:37 PM   #157
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

OK, to be brutally honest this thread has taken on an almost annoying life of its own. I'd politely challenge one of our brethren nay sayers (not necessarily a bad thing) to simply buy a PBC, while the $104 discount still applies, and take it for a spin. Give it an honest shot and report back. If you hate it I'd almost bet that Noah will take it back.

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 10:38 PM   #158
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothsmoke View Post
Really
Yes, really.

John

Old 01-03-2013, 10:55 PM   #159
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioDaddio View Post
OK, to be brutally honest this thread has taken on an almost annoying life of its own. I'd politely challenge one of our brethren nay sayers (not necessarily a bad thing) to simply buy a PBC, while the $104 discount still applies, and take it for a spin. Give it an honest shot and report back. If you hate it I'd almost bet that Noah will take it back.

John
Couldn't agree more John! We are going in circles over a crazy barrel... WOW!!! If you feel the need, just do what John suggests, and yes, I believe the PBC company will give you 30 days to take it for a test drive :)
*please check their website to verify this guarantee
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 12:07 AM   #160
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Couldn't agree more John! We are going in circles over a crazy barrel... WOW!!! If you feel the need, just do what John suggests, and yes, I believe the PBC company will give you 30 days to take it for a test drive :)
*please check their website to verify this guarantee
Or, just call Noah (his cell number is on their site, and on every barrel) and tell him that you're a skeptic and ask him for a money-back guarantee. In other words, put the ball in his court.

John

Old 01-04-2013, 01:14 AM   #161
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

Well, I must say that I haven't chimed in at all here because I don't know didly about the UDS's or the PBC, have never used either. I think I would like the PBC only because of it's size and look, and of course because of the positive feedback (seems to be pretty overwhelming).

But I must say that this thread has been very very informative as well as entertaining in some aspects. Also teaches a very valuble lesson about the "written" word.........without hearing the voice inflections or seeing the persons expressions as they speak, many things can be misconstrued and misunderstood. I certaianly hope everyone leaves this thread at least as friendly as when they came in, that's one of the big reasons I like coming in here, just a bunch of friendly folks with a common interest trying to learn from one another.
Anyway, again, informative and interesting.

KC

Old 01-04-2013, 10:01 AM   #162
jeffsee
Full Fledged Farker

OK...those of you who have them, what are the dimensions of the fire basket? How much "gap" around the inside of barrel around fire "box?" Diameter of grate? I located a 30 gallon closed head drum for free...and I just might be able to get some powder coating done for Q.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #163
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsee View Post
OK...those of you who have them, what are the dimensions of the fire basket? How much "gap" around the inside of barrel around fire "box?" Diameter of grate? I located a 30 gallon closed head drum for free...and I just might be able to get some powder coating done for Q.
Sorry, but I'm not going to help someone copy a commercial product and potentially take money out of the pocket of the guy who went through 29 prototypes to develop it. That's just not cool.

John

Old 01-04-2013, 10:57 AM   #164
jeffsee
Full Fledged Farker

John...

1. I'm a schmo who teaches high school English for a living.
2. The only thing I've ever sold is a used grill.
3. Not everyone has ulterior motives.
4. Despite popular, misguided memes to the contrary, I don't make a lot of money.
5. I just wanted to make my best clone of the PBC on the cheap for ME.
6. Unlike others on the list, MY wife won't just laugh off my dropping $225 on another cooker - she may ACTUALLY kill me.

If someone were willing, I'd have them PM me. I do not compete. I do not fabricate (well, I DID cobble together my own UDS, sans welding). I do not manufacture (and have no intentions of giving up my day job). I'd just like to make my own version of this cooker to sit in my lonesome back yard in little Oshkosh, Wisconsin. Nothing more.

I know some folks have perhaps gotten burned in the past. Or, perhaps it is more a sad commentary of the current state of society that people have to constantly stay vigilant about intellectual property theft.

I have never stolen ANYTHING from anyone. Heck I even give YOU full credit with a link every time I make any of your recipes for a faculty or student gathering. I have shared the link for the PBC website with everyone I know who might have interest and means to purchase one.

Forgive a guy for wanting the benefits of a PBC but just doesn't have the cash or a "forgiving" wife.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #165
jacksedona
Take a breath!

congrats ,please post some pictures of your cooking,here is a picture of a ribs i smoked for 8 hours

http://thebarbecuemaster.net
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0059.jpg (56.8 KB, 232 views)

Last edited by jacksedona; 01-04-2013 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: picture not here
jacksedona is offline   Reply With Quote