UDS Flat Lid not tight

bimmerdad

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a flat lid for my UDS and so far, if I don't use the clamp that secures the lid to the drum, the lid does not sit flat on the drum which of course allows smoke to escape. My lid seems to be a little warped.

I've seen several photos of other UDS builds where the lid seems to sit flat on the drum. I do have a Weber kettle lid I was thinking of using but I would need to add a metal strip around the inside of the drum and that would mean I could no longer use my flat lid and I don't know if I want to do that yet.

Any suggestions on what I can do to get my lid to sit flat on the drum? I really would like to solve this problem with the flat lid.

Thanks

Bimmerdad

I had a local shop cut the rim off the flat lid and weld it to the Weber lid, I then smeared some high temp silicone on the inside seam and it works like a champ. This weekend I am going to clean the rim and put a tight layer of felt around it.

Ok maybe a dumb question but so what if it is not perfectly sealed? As long as only smoke is escaping and it is not acting like an inlet why worry?

@GreenDrake, Thanks for the info, that's something I might have to consider.

@Aawa, I think the lid would need to be even (not warped) for that to work, but I could be wrong.

There has got to be a way to get this thing to lay flat, I couldn't be the only one who has had this problem... :razz:

Thanks for the info.

If you're able to completely snuff out the coals at the end of the cook I wouldn't worry about the leaky lid.

I thought about that but I thought I may have temp control issue. I guess you're saying gaps around the lid are just letting out more exhaust air and that shouldn't effect my temps that much?

Ok maybe a dumb question but so what if it is not perfectly sealed? As long as only smoke is escaping and it is not acting like an inlet why worry?

I really haven't tried to snuff out the coals without using the locking ring. I can give it a try and see.

I also thought about putting a few heavy objects on the lid where it's not flat but that would look awful tacky....:razz:

If you're able to completely snuff out the coals at the end of the cook I wouldn't worry about the leaky lid.

I thought about that but I thought I may have temp control issue. I guess you're saying gaps around the lid are just letting out more exhaust air and that shouldn't effect my temps that much?

Depends on how warped. A little leakage wouldn't be a big deal but a bigger leak would make it harder to hold a temperature consistently.

disclaimer: I do not have a UDS but have a cabinet style smoker that is same basic principle just bigger. It had small air leaks on some of the trim and it still worked great.

Yea my lid leaks some not a big deal i just try to get it as tight as possible and if some smoke comes out i dont sweat it. I can hold temp pretty well. I originally tried to make a gasket for it but turned out to be more of a headache than it was worth.

Thought about that also. At this point that might be the best I can do and just live with the little leaks.

I'm off to the hardware store to purchase a handle for the lid.

Bimmerdad

You can flatten out the bend/warped flat lid with a little over bending here and there. Do so in small increments and mark the spots before and after bending. good luck.

I remember reading a post a while back. Someone recommended using folded shop towels all around the rim of the drum. Then hammering the lid down with a rubber hammer to stretch the lid rim a bit. I haven't tried but it might help.

I would not worry about this at all unless you were having crazy temperature issues, which I couldn't imagine happening. Door leakage on a horizontal smoker might be an issue, but that is the beauty of a vertical smoker, by then it has passed the meat and done its thing already. One of the real benefits of a UDS is the smoke pretty much has to make its way passed the meat cooking, unless you have put some crazy holes in the side of it for something.

Best advice, stop worrying about the minute details and enjoy cooking. It is a UDS, not some $4000 cooker, it is meant to be that way!

Cook more pork butts in it. As the grease builds up it will start to seal up better. In the interim, I used two cinder blocks. Its also a good place to set your Maverick ET 732 ( you do have one of those, right?) So it doesn't get too hot on the lid of your UDS.

I had an open head warped lid on my first UDS. I basically just picked two equadistant points on the outer part of the lid where it bends down and marked it with a little dot. I picked up the lid vertically from the point and kinda dropped/banged it on the ground. Repeated for the other side. This created two flat sections about 3 inches long along the rim. When I put the lid on I pressed down on the two points and the lid stuck on. It wasn't airtight but it helps keep the lid down if that's your problem. You can always undo it with some vise grips

I'll try to cook a few Butts (or maybe beer can chicken) and see how things work.

I think I could get by with 2 solid bricks, it doesn't take muck pressure to push the warped parts down but I like the cider block idea.

Sadly right now I only have and inexpensive digital timer but I have asked for the ET-732 for Father's Day. :razz:

Cook more pork butts in it. As the grease builds up it will start to seal up better. In the interim, I used two cinder blocks. Its also a good place to set your Maverick ET 732 ( you do have one of those, right?) So it doesn't get too hot on the lid of your UDS.

@ajstrider, you're probably right, I need to relax and enjoy. I'll let you know what I find out tomorrow when I run the smoker up again.

I have one drum that has a webber lid on it. Thing has some slight out of round and a few dented areas around the rim. Thought the fire was snuffed one bbq found it still smoldering three days later. amazing how much back flow can get in thru a leaky lid too. I'm about to take drastic steps cutting and welding a rim that I can use fire rope gasket with.

It is possible to hammer warped sheet metal flat with a ballpeen hammer but it is a highly skilled art and if you try it you will likely make it worse. But then again what do you have to lose?

Is there a drum refurbishing company near you? Just go pick out a really flat lid. Swap yours in and pay them a buck or two.

In Seattle there is a company called Industrial Container Services aka ICS. Maybe they have a site near you?

http://www.iconserv.com

seattlepitboss

Back