Spatchcocked Chicken Ideas

R

rcbaughn

So I brined a chicken I spatchcocked in a honey brine for about 20 hours and now I gotta decide what I'm gonna do for a rub, whether it be under or on the skin and whether or not I need to add any oil to the skin to get it crispy. I really don't want to end up with rubbery skin from the mini WSM I am gonna be using.

Planned on hot and fast at 350, hopefully that will provide it enough time to get crispy skin before it's overcooked in the middle. Should I smoke it skin side up for most of the time then skin side down right at the end? I planned on pouring Big Bob Gibson's White sauce on it right toward the end too and letting that melt into the skin, so I may not even need a rub of any kind.

I'd skip the rub and just slather the skin with some softened butter. Nothing goes together better than butter and chicken skin.

That'll help it crisp right up yeah? I plan on using Kingsford Original with either Jack Daniel's smoking chips and some hickory mixed in, or just straight mesquite chunks.

The butter will definitely help crisp the skin. Personally I'm not a fan of mesquite, I think it's too strong but that's my own preference. I'd go with the barrell chips.

Be careful with the smoke! I love hickory but chicken will absorb smoke really quickly and can often result in an overpowering smoke flavor. I would probably go with apple or peach and just a little of that. Just my opinion. Enjoy!

Only thing I have is mesquite, hickory, or the Jack Daniel chips! :doh: I don't even know where I can find apple wood around here. Haven't seen it in any stores at least. I got the mesquite and Jack chips from Walmart and the hickory comes from the trees on our hunting land.

Maybe I should just stick with the hickory limbs from our land since I've read chips throw out a lot of smoke fast. I do like a smokey flavor though. I don't know if I could distinguish was over-smoked meat tastes like to be honest. This is only my third smoke ever. I've spent a lot of time reading though.

The Jack chips will probably be oak which IMHO goes very well with chicken. A handfull at the beginning of the smoke should get you enough smoke flavor without being over powering..

Okay thanks guys. Looking forward to getting my smoke on!

Back