MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:35 AM   #16
J_Smoke
Found some matches.

I just did my pork shoulder tonight with lump coal. I wrapped the shoulder at 4 hours, 155 degrees and pulled it off at the 7.5 hour mark at 200 degrees. I let it rest for an hour and a half and was fantastic. The temp held steady at 250 for 7.5 hours without stoking/adding more fuel. That was impressive to me. I did place a deep tuna can over the lower vent to keep the ash from suffocating the air flow. The top sides of the can was vented.

I did want to add at least one more rack to the build, but I didn't want to drive 45 minutes to the nearest town to get another rack. The local hardware store in this little po-dunk of 700 population didn't have a replacement grate I could buy. There is ample room though, even enough for three racks.

If I do this again, I will change a few things:
Yes, add at least one more rack, possibly two.
Access holes at each grate level to insert a thermometer into the meat at the corresponding level.
Handles. (couldn't find anything at the hardware store)
Extended vent adjustment handles. They are too hot to adjust after it comes to temp. (DUH)
Possibly finding a different solution for the legs to add stability.

This however, again, did a great job for an impromptu smoker without a big box store to shop at. :)

Thanks for all the comments. Any tips or criticisms welcome!
J_Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #17
TroyA65
is one Smokin' Farker

Very well done!!

Old 07-07-2013, 09:46 PM   #18
Bob13
Full Fledged Farker

Location: Home of the 11 time World Series Champion Cardinals

Awesome build! I haven't seen the latch attachment before.. very nice! I am curious as to why you decided to paint the inside...?

Old 07-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #19
hachi-roku_fan
is one Smokin' Farker

15 gallon drum?
hachi-roku_fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2013, 10:10 PM   #20
twofishy4u
Knows what a fatty is.

mine are both 15 gallon drums. The most I ever got was 6 hours of run time without adding hot coals. How were your coals set up? Brand of coals? I'll try the can idea over the vent.
twofishy4u is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2013, 10:20 PM   #21
hachi-roku_fan
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofishy4u View Post
mine are both 15 gallon drums. The most I ever got was 6 hours of run time without adding hot coals. How were your coals set up? Brand of coals? I'll try the can idea over the vent.
Any modifications needed to fit it with the 15 gallon drum? I know some pots need some massaging to work
hachi-roku_fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #22
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Make sure to beef up the legs as the weight of the drum with meat loaded can get quite heavy and unstable with the tall drum. I don't trust the stock SJ legs, too much movement.
Those replacement legs were bent from 1" wide, 1/8" thick aluminum bar stock.

My 16-gallon drum body is currently not set up with cooking grates. I've been using this setup just to hang ribs, with 1 cross rod running at the top. I hung 5 racks of ribs on my last cook and only required 1 chimney full of briquettes.
For other cooks I use the tamale pot on the same SJ instead of the drum.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:49 PM   #23
twofishy4u
Knows what a fatty is.

I cut the bottom 6-8" off and grind the edge so it fits nice and tight into the smokey joe bottom. The lid fits super tight. Careful after grinding as the edge gets so thin it is real sharp.
twofishy4u is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2013, 03:06 AM   #24
J_Smoke
Found some matches.

I cut the bottom of the 15 gallon drum off about an inch below the bottom ring and it fit very nice in the Smokey Joe base. I added the latches to give me peace of mind that the drum would stay upright when checking the meat.

I did not paint the inside just cleaned it up nicely.

The last smoke I did on it, I used lump coal and it stayed at 260° for 8+ hours. I pulled the pork off at 7.5 hours. I didn't have to move the vents or tap off the coals once. Very pleased.
J_Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-11-2013, 04:59 AM   #25
TowersOfFood
Knows what a fatty is.

Great job!
18.5 WSM, 22.5 WSM, 22.5 Weber OTS, XL BGE, Smokey Joe silver, Weber E-330 and La Caja China #2.
TowersOfFood is offline   Reply With Quote