2 pork butts

N

nucleargeek

Can anyone help me out. I'm going to be smoking two 6 lb pork butts...bone in... this weekend for a group of people...i normally just do one. Do I need to add any additional time for doing two, or will my usual 90 minutes per pound work. Let me know if anyone can help.

vance

Figure 2 hours a pound based on the largest of the two butts. If they finish early place them wrapped in H/D foil in a dry cooler. They will stay hot for hours that way.

Vance,

Welcome to the forum! Jump over to Cattle Call and Introduce yourself.

To answer you question, most of us cook by meat temp for large meat cuts. Look here for a full discussion:
http://www.bandera-brethren.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=2695

The "Roadmap" contains a wealth of info on common topics.

I cook by meat internal temps, but my time seems to go up with the "high thermal loading" of more meat. But, if airflow is not blocked, nothing signifigant.

What kind of cooker do you have--that will influence the effect and our guys own a bunch of each type!
A lot of us put the cooker in our signatures--helps interpret questions and answers :D
Hope this helps,
TIM

Admin guys--does this need to be "zoomed" over to Q-talk????

EDIT--Not contradicting jminion :oops:
I was writing while he was posting! Just different approaches (I think) and mine is one I find consistant for guys like me. Listen to Jim-for sure!

Vance, Welcome Brother! It would help to know what you're cooking on. Most of us here list our gear in our signature line to help with such questions.

As a general rule I would say your usual allowance for time will be fine. A really full smoker presents a large thermal load and some additional time would be a good idea, but for 2 6# butts I'd say procede as normal.

Stop by Cattle Call and introduce yourself, and again Welcome.

Damn! JM, Tim and KC ALL over it at the same time, one post at 8:32, and two posts at 8:33. Great info and great questions guys!

THAT is what the brotherhood is all about.

You make me proud!

Like I told the kpn, I love it when the choir all sings in the same key! :D

Thanks to all who helped out....I'm sure it will turn out great

Welcome Vance.

What sort of pit are you gonna cook the butts in?

Drop on over to Cattle Call to introduce yourself !!!

Good luck on your butts. I am sure with all the advice that was given to you already you will have nothing but success!

Back