Cold Smoked Deer sausage on the PBC

flyingbassman5

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Finally got my share of the sausage harvest from this past November. Last saturday was sausage making day so me and 19 other uncles and cousins spent the day grinding, mixing, and stuffing endless amounts of deer and pork. I'm not sure on the specifics of the mix or what seasoning we use since my job every year is to cook the massive lunch for 20+ hungry grown men. This year I did over 120 bacon wrapped dove kabobs with pepper, onion, and shrooms. Didn't get any pics of that but it turned out great cooking them on two 22" Webers (my dad's old one and one from an uncle).

Anyway, I ended up with 35lbs of (somewhat) smoked sausage. I tried the original product and decided that it wasn't smoked enough for my taste.

So I fired up the Pit barrel with a couple leftover briquettes and two chunks of hickory.

IMG_20130323_112636_933_zps020367e9.jpg

Then took 10 sticks of sausage and hung them on the rebar set slightly to one side to avoid any direct rising heat. The barrel was never really hot, and the heat coming off the smoldering hickory was warm, but not hot enough at the level of the sausage to cause concern.

IMG_20130323_113300_457_zps8ac5f65f.jpg

The finished product was great and I like it better than the original. I think I will split everything down the middle eventually so I have a 50/50 amount of original and extra smoked.

IMG_20130323_130459_521_zps446ab742.jpg

The pit barrel also worked great as a mini smoke house for the sausage. Temp never rose to a point that would have me concerned and the two chunks of hickory and 5 or so leftover briquettes lasted about an hour, all the while giving off good smoke. Total time smoked was around an hour.

IMG_20130323_114406_621_zps956960e8.jpg

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the wrinkled skin indicates that the fat rendered out so you got well above the temperatures needed for cold smoking.

I bet it tastes great nonetheless. Thanks for the post.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the wrinkled skin indicates that the fat rendered out so you got well above the temperatures needed for cold smoking.

I bet it tastes great nonetheless. Thanks for the post.

Good point.

They were already cooked before I smoked them further thus the "wrinkled" skin. They were originally cooked for about 45 minutes to an hour at 175-185 the day we made them. Though with that, they were more "cooked" than they were smoked. The guys had a good bed of coals but weren't adding any wood spits while the sausage was on.

Still, they turned out great! :biggrin1:

Back