Beef bacon???

Never heard of nor seen Beef Navels anywhere down here.

Will keep my eyes open though.

Interesting.

TIM

There is a small commercial smoke house near here that does beef bacon. That's the only place I've ever seen it.

Yours looks great!

You can buy beef bacon in the grocery store here (gwatney brand) but yours looks much better.

Outstanding!

Beef navel was the original cut used for Pastrami in many of the old Jewish delis in New York

I've bought beef bacon from our butcher but he would never tell me what cut he makes it from. Thanks for the information I needed to try and make my own.

Great Looking Beef Bacon.

Reading Katz site on pastrami they say curing for up to a month and smoking for days. How do they do that?

They use a dry cute, which gets applied several times. The meat is held on racks so that there is never a liquid build up. Smoking in a smoke shed allows for a cooler smoke, often days or even weeks, it is the traditional way of smoking bacon and such. The curing salt prevents spoilage and the dry smoky air helps too

Reading Katz site on pastrami they say curing for up to a month and smoking for days. How do they do that?

I am sure they will not divulge their process in making their "Pink Gold" but only give generalities of the process.

Dry refrigerated curing is dependent upon the thickness of the meat. It can be accelerated by brining and stitch pumping as done in in today's commercial applications.

As far as smoking for days, I have never smoked corned beef for days to make pastrami, but I can remember my grandfather smoked hams for days in the smokehouse. It was far from our smokers of today and it was a cold smoking process which was also part of his curing method.

This looks so good! It's strange there isn't more emphasis on beef bacon because of all the folks who can't or don't eat pork for health or religious reasons. Why isn't it marketed more? Don't think I've ever seen it for sale locally.

Back