Types of smokers being used

Bbqin fool

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hey guys. Just getting an idea of what types of smokers everyone is using in comps. Thanks

FEC 100's are popular, as are Backwoods, Spicewine and Jambo. That is about a $9000 range of prices.........

3 WSM 22"s for us. Sometimes will haul an XL egg with us if the weather is supposed to be cold.

love my spicewine jay builds one hell of an good smoker I have two right now:becky:

We had been running four 18" WSMs, but we found this past week that we could wedge the 22" WSM into the van so we used that and 2 of the 18s.

Backwoods Fatboy for all meats at last two cookoffs. May start using my Weber 22.5 OTG for chicken though.

All Pellets here. Country Smoker, Memphis Pro, and GMG Daniel Boone...Pellets Rule!

I'm just getting into it, but I use 2 WSM 22's and now I proud to say that I'm gonna break out an UDS this weekend at a comp to go along with them.

Two UDSs and an 18.5" ProQ.
Cookoffkickoff2011005.jpg

We are using The Good One Rodeo Model. Absolutely love it and the flavor of Good One Lump Charcoal

Two UDS's (one for pork and one for brisket) and a Traeger (for chicken and ribs). I just started using the UDS's in comps this year and have been really happy with the results.

We use a Backwoods Fatboy and have been using Weber Kettles for Chicken.

In Virginia you have a few different sanctioning bodies, with very different answers to the question that you're asking. KCBS requires much less meat (generally, depending on things) than does competing fully in MBN. With KCBS you'll see most anything, from a couple WSM's or even UDS's, BGE's, up to the larger offsets, Stumps, etc. In MBN you'll see large offsets, sometimes multiples of these per team, and/or multiple large Stumps, etc. Every once in a while, in MBN, if competing only in something like Ribs you'll see someone with multiple BGE's, etc.

Last edited:
Back