Contest Announcment Hava nagrilla

LindaM

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Calling all BBQ Kukher

The First Kosher BBQ Competition

"Hava NaGrilla" is going to be held on Sunday June 7, 2009 at Willow Grove Day Camp in Willow Grove, PA. The event is being held to benefit the Golden Slipper Club & Charities and open to all BBQ Teams, who will compete in Chicken, Ribs (Beef), Brisket and Baked Beans.

Celebrity Judges, you bet!

Dr. Walter Hofman and Ethel Hofman, Chef Thomas J Marcrina, Restaurateur Derek Davis, Marc Zumoff, Voice of the Sixers, CBS 3 News Anchor Pat Ciarrocchi, KYW Hadas Kuznits, and more just to name a few. NBC 10's Glen "Hurricane Schwartz" will be in the position of "Tie Breaker" as well as in charge of guaranteeing perfect weather for the day. You know he's got a connection!

So want to go Kosher? Here's your chance and for a great cause. For complete information go to:

http://www.havanagrilla.com.

You have to be meshuggeneh not to be there.

This is not going to be a cheap contest when it comes to meat... Have you seen the price of kosher brisket???

I wish you the best of luck!

I have a client that wants me to teach him how to do smoked kosher brisket... He is just saving up for a month or two to afford it....

Why not do lamb too? Does flanken count for the ribs category? Serious question for you, and warning for possible competitors, how kosher is this contest? Whill a cooker or a grate which has previously held pork be allowed? If not, I think you'll have a more difficult time finding teams. Is there a kasherizing process you permit, and what is it?

dmp

What is it that makes a brisket Kosher?

A lot of things. How the cow is raised, how the cow is killed, the condition of the lungs after it is killed, how it is butchered, getting a rabbi or hechter organization to say it's kosher (which costs money). Whether it has ever come into contact with a dairy product, or equipment which has come into contact with a dairy product, or pork...I'm sure there are a few things I am missing. How the equipment is maintained and cleaned....Basically you have to go to a kosher butcher or kosher meat department and buy one, and they aren't cheap.

dmp

Why not do lamb too? Does flanken count for the ribs category? Serious question for you, and warning for possible competitors, how kosher is this contest? Whill a cooker or a grate which has previously held pork be allowed? If not, I think you'll have a more difficult time finding teams. Is there a kasherizing process you permit, and what is it?

dmp

Read the rules and all of your questions will be answered.

Just spoke to the organizer, $200 entry and no prize money. But it is for charity and kind of a cool concept so if the time is right, I think I may do it.

Heh...

Fun tidbit; for food to be considered kosher than it must be partially cooked by someone Jewish

This is a fun law that isn't from the bible, nor is it practiced by every one, and was intended in part to prevent bad things like intermarriage. Interestingly, though I found an article which claims that baked beans and smoked food is specifically excluded from the prohibition.
http://www.star-k.org/kashrus/kk-issues-bishul.htm

dmp

Oh vey! Very interesting competition. I built Ronald Hoffmans offices in NYC. Very nice guy.

I think you've got the wrong Dr. Hoffman in the wrong state..

Did I miss something ? :confused:
Doh, i missed that, Ronald Hoffman is the one I know. Ironically the previous owner of my house that put it in foreclosure was Walter Hofman but i dont think he was a doctor.

This is interesting. Honestly, when I started catering I sought to become the only Kosher BBQ Catering Company in WNY. The process is involved, and included a seperate cooker and equipment. It was fun to explore and learn about the Kosher process, however to achieve the designation it was too expensive for such a short outdoor season.

I went to the contest site. Here's what I found out in relation to cookers:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION​
•​
The $200.00 entry fee includes: (2) 6’ tables, (2) folding chairs, (2) grills, (1) bag of charcoal, all cooking utensils,

sauce ingredients, (1) large can of baked beans and garbage receptacles.

That's a different format - pay your money, show up, pick up your ingredients, prep, cook, turn in, clean up your mess, and go home. No errands, no hauling, no packing and unpacking.... Sounds like fun.

Hi,

I sent the organizer some questions about the event. Questions and answers are below.

1) What sort of cooking equipment are you providing the teams for their onsite cooking? Will there be smokers or just grills? If just grills, what type (Weber kettles maybe?)?

We will be providing 22” Kettle Grills, charcoal and utensils.

2) Can teams request certain ingredients to be provided in the box if the items can be certified Kosher (for example, if someone needs cumin or turbanado sugar for their rub)?

Any product not on our ingredient list can be used as long as it is sealed and approved by our Masgiach.

3) When can teams start cooking at their site (if they are smoking a brisket it can easily take 12 hours)?

7 AM Sunday Morning.

4) Are the winners awarded anything aside from the trophies?

No other prizes will be awarded.

5) Do you have a limit on how many teams can enter?

No, you can enter as many teams as you would like.

6) What criteria are the entries being judged on (taste, appearance, texture?)?

All 3 criteria are being used – taste, appearance and texture.

7) How much food should the teams enter (6 individual portions?)?

All meats are purchased through us and you will be provided with the appropriate amount of meat to prepare and give to our judges.

Also, please let me know if you are in need of judges and I'll put the word out about that as well.

We are looking for some more judges so please let us know of anyone interested.

dmp
We decided not to do Lamb as this is our first year. Flanken will not count we will be using full beef ribs. We will be supplying all of the grills and all necessary supplies.

This is not going to be a cheap contest when it comes to meat... Have you seen the price of kosher brisket???

I wish you the best of luck!

I have a client that wants me to teach him how to do smoked kosher brisket... He is just saving up for a month or two to afford it....

Yes kosher meat is expensive. We have worked out an agreement to buy the food at wholesale to help with price.

This is highly attractive considering the costs are pretty much limited to entry fee and travel expenses.

EDIT: Ahh I see that meat is additional and @ mp. I know it's difficult to predict things like that, but since I'm primarily concerned with overall costs, that's a big concern for me.

For Kosher brisket, do you cook a full packer just a flat? Not sure how you can get a brisket done in half a day.

Back