MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:02 AM   #31
peeps
somebody shut me the fark up.

For you guys using brown sugar in a rub, how do you guys manage to keep the brown sugar from clumping in a rub? I never have good much getting it evenly distributed due to it's tendency to clump.
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2013, 09:22 AM   #32
big brother smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeps View Post
For you guys using brown sugar in a rub, how do you guys manage to keep the brown sugar from clumping in a rub? I never have good much getting it evenly distributed due to it's tendency to clump.
You can dry the sugar out in a oven.

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2013, 09:35 AM   #33
peeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by big brother smoke View Post
You can dry the sugar out in a oven.
I think I'll just deal with clumps if THAT is the only real solution ;)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]

Old 10-01-2013, 09:38 AM   #34
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
I don't do alot of the sugary rubs anymore... How sweet is it?

Not sweet at all in my book. It's a more true to the Season All name than to a normal rub.

Trust me, just try it. I bought 5lbs the other day, but if you don't like it I'll buy it from you.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-01-2013, 09:51 AM   #35
57borntorun
Full Fledged Farker

When I grind my spices I dont add sugar.I do it to order meaning that I add it at the last mixing depending on it`s purpose.I also use sweet seeds and buds(Fennel, anise, star anise, allspice and clove) which cuts down on refined sugar or other sugars.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:17 AM   #36
Papa Q
On the road to being a farker

I use brown sugar in just about all my rubs. I make sure the clumps are out for the first use and if there is any left over that will clump...just sift it withan old flour sieve before applying the rub.
Papa Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #37
Smokeat
is one Smokin' Farker

What is the difference between a rub, and seasoned salt? Not all rubs contain sugar, I usually try not to use as much salt in my rub mixes, because so much goes on a piece of meat. I make them spice intensive. I just don't know what makes a rub a rub.
Smokeat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2013, 10:57 AM   #38
57borntorun
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeat View Post
What is the difference between a rub, and seasoned salt? Not all rubs contain sugar, I usually try not to use as much salt in my rub mixes, because so much goes on a piece of meat. I make them spice intensive. I just don't know what makes a rub a rub.
Would it be the use of your hands to rub the mixture into the protein?

Old 10-01-2013, 11:15 AM   #39
Wampus

Old 10-01-2013, 11:57 AM   #40
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I make my own rubs and use dark brown sugar (I like the extra molasses flavor dark gives versus the light). The last step of my process is to take a pestle and grind the rub through a mesh strainer to break up all the lumps (sugar, paprika as well as a couple of other ingredients I use that have a tendency to clump). It's kinda like sifting your flour when you bake. Once the sugar and other spices are all broken down, they don't tend to clump back up again. At least so long as they stay dry.

As for your original question; like I said, I make my own, but Famous Dave's is very close to what I make, so I keep a bottle of that around in case I just don't feel like mixing up a batch.
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2013, 12:10 PM   #41
peeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Home Boy View Post
I make my own rubs and use dark brown sugar (I like the extra molasses flavor dark gives versus the light). The last step of my process is to take a pestle and grind the rub through a mesh strainer to break up all the lumps (sugar, paprika as well as a couple of other ingredients I use that have a tendency to clump). It's kinda like sifting your flour when you bake. Once the sugar and other spices are all broken down, they don't tend to clump back up again. At least so long as they stay dry.
That sounds like a MUCH more reasonable approach...to me at least ;) Thanks!

Old 10-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #42
markdtn
is one Smokin' Farker

Oakridge "Secret Weapon" and Plowboys "Yardbird"
markdtn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #43
dano
is one Smokin' Farker

TLP Championship
dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #44
dadsr4

Quote:
I take my Oster blender, use a quart canning jar in place of the pitcher, and blend everything. I then put it in a saved spice shaker bottle and apply it.

Last edited by dadsr4; 10-01-2013 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: Lousy typing.
dadsr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2013, 04:38 PM   #45
2000milesofsmoke
On the road to being a farker

Got my hands on Pellet Envy's rubs, been very happy with these. Also, Killer Hogs The BBQ rub has been in the rotation lately.
2000milesofsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote