MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:57 AM   #1
tjus77
is One Chatty Farker

Default Enhanced Turkey

For those of you who brine their turkeys for smoking.... do you do that for an enhanced bird (like a butterball)? Longer or shorter than a fresh bird or no diff? Thanks.
Variety of Cast Iron DO's
Weber Genius Gas Grill, Weber Kettle

Cajuns make better lovers cause we'll eat ANYTHING.
tjus77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2010, 06:35 AM   #2
Brooks BBQ
Got Wood.

I don't brine enhanced birds. Not sure where the flavor might go.
Brooks BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2010, 06:42 AM   #3
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Enhanced birds don't require brining. Brining an enhanced bird would be pointless.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2010, 06:44 AM   #4
MikeR
is One Chatty Farker

No brining needed- did one for Thanksgiving stuffed with slices of onions, oranges, and apples. Came out great and I've been asked to do the same for Christmas.

GRIM REAPER SMOKERS [B]-[/B] [I]"BBQ To Die For"[FONT=verdana, arial]™ [/FONT][/I]Under the [B]"LENIENT"[/B] direction of Pit Master Tim.

22.5 OTG, 18.5 OTS, 18.5 WSM, Chargriller Duo with optional side fire box.
[COLOR=red]"Founders Club" Operation BBQ Relief.[/COLOR]
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2010, 06:53 AM   #5
aquablue22
Babbling Farker

No, i was always afraid of what type of flavor i would end up with, I never buy an enhanced bird.
2 - 18.5 Weber Kettle
1 - WSM Mini

I live in fear that my Wife will sell all my "TOYS" when I die for WHAT I told her I paid for them!!
aquablue22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2010, 09:44 AM   #6
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

The only point of brining an enhanced bird is to put other flavors in, but in my opinion, turkey flavored turkey tastes good to me and doesn't need all that other stuff inside it, so an enhanced bird is ready to go here in my house. Just my opinion of course.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2010, 10:47 AM   #7
SmokinOkie
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
Enhanced birds don't require brining. Brining an enhanced bird would be pointless.
Don't agree, for me it's more a "it depends"

What's the strength of the enhanced. I've seen 1, 2, 4, 8, 12 up to 23%. Plus they vary so much with what they enhance with I look at the ingredients.

For me, I recommend in Brining 101 that if it's less than a 12 or 16% bird, brining it will work and carry some of the flavors that you've added to your brine.

Do you HAVE to? No.

Can you? Yes

Do I? Yes
Lastest Smokers (4) FEC100's including Twin Big Reds, FEPC1000 Pellet Grill, Cookshack 36" Charbroiler

[B][URL="http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1159993040"]Smokin Okie on Facebook[/URL][/B]
A[B]uthor:[/B]
[URL="http://www.cookshack.com/Websites/cookshack/Images/2010brining101.pdf"]Brining 101 PDF[/URL] & [URL="http://www.cookshack.com/Websites/cookshack/Images/2010Turkey101.pdf"]Turkey 101 PDF[/URL]
SmokinOkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2010, 01:07 PM   #8
Abelman
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinOkie View Post
Don't agree, for me it's more a "it depends"

What's the strength of the enhanced. I've seen 1, 2, 4, 8, 12 up to 23%. Plus they vary so much with what they enhance with I look at the ingredients.

For me, I recommend in Brining 101 that if it's less than a 12 or 16% bird, brining it will work and carry some of the flavors that you've added to your brine.

Do you HAVE to? No.

Can you? Yes

Do I? Yes
I agree. I actually take it one step further. I soak the enhanced bird in water for 12-24 hours and change the water every 6 hours or so. You'll be able to smell the liquid that comes out of the bird and see the discoloration as well.

After that, I brine the bird with the flavors I want but I cut the salt content in half.

I came up with this once becuse of a mistake. I bought some bone in breasts and never looked at the lable in terms of solution added. So, this is what I tried and it was supurb. Did the same thing on purpose with the past Thanksgiving Day turkey to see what would happen. Again, it was Very Very good. That bird ended up on the cover on the current Smoke Signals magazine much to my surprise.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-22-2010, 01:20 PM   #9
Coltrain
Knows what a fatty is.

I just brined one for thanksgiving - I think it was 18% solution by weight. It was a free turkey from work, and it was my first time brining (we had another turkey being cooked in the oven, so this was just a test bird.) I used an apple brine and used 3/4 the salt called for. I really couldn't tell it was brined in the dark meat, but the breast turned out great! The entire turkey was moist, and the breast had a great flavor to it from the brine. I will be doing this again with just a frozen turkey breast and slice for sandwiches, although I may try and find one that isn't inhanced.