New firsts

SmokinBerto

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I never used a charcoal chimney until recently, never used lump charcoal. Lost sight of the pleasure of steaks & burgers cooked over fire from charcoal & not a gas grill. I got caught up in the fast food ideaology. Gas requires so little effort, just turn it on & hit the button. I took a long ride to get where I am. I got a Brinkman charcoal smoker for christmas a hundred years ago it seems.
2 years ago I got a Masterbuilt 2 door gasser. And while I've enjoyed cooking with it I'm moving back to the stone age.
I remember cooking over charcoal on a $7 Hibachi grill, not because I wanted to but because it was cheap. I was making 4 bucks an hour. Burgers were better than I've had since.
I paid $400 for a Charbroil grill 2 years ago. The Weber 22.5 I bought for $40 (bought it for the lid for my UDS) makes better steaks.
Where are we going?

Welcome back to world of real fire and smoke! Meat really tastes best that way, and using a chimney, it's not that much longer than gas. Try cooking a steak on a grate placed directly on top of the chimney. Oh yeah, baby! :grin:

Enjoy the ride, wherever it takes you. Let your taste buds be your guide.

Unfortunately many humans would rather have quick convenient satisfaction. I along with probably everyone else would say that the journey makes the satisfaction greater. My wife gets mad sometimes when she sees me fire up the chimney versus hitting the ignition button on the gasser. She loves grilling out and smoking, hell and even the few comps we did this year. It's just that she gets grumpy when she is hungry. She doesn't realize that it's a special thing for me and the dog to chill a bit watching the sparks jump out of some freshly lit lump. She also doesn't realize in out of gas right now thanks to my weedburner. Even when I had gas I still fired up the chimney. Here's to us that love the journey!

Okay I'm gonna have to back peddle a bit. I picked up "lump" charcoal. Lotsa little pieces, Who makes the best briquets? Too much of the lump falls through the grates.

small stuff falling through grate

I'm even having issues with the small bits fallin through the charcoal chimney's grate. Is Stubbs briquets good?

Don't fall and hit your nugget again your in a good place now, repeat after me.. Wood is good, Gas you pass,:wink:

You're not going back to the Stone Age. You are going back to the Enlightenment. Well done.

Back