MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:20 AM   #16
suprfast
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo-Dave View Post
Gasoline will not burn fast if the oxygen is limited/controlled and neither will lump/charcoal if the oxygen is controlled. Almost any fuel will only burn hot or cool in accordance with the oxygen allowed, thus a smoldering fire, lack of oxygen or a raging fire all the oxygen it needs, same with lump or charcoal. I declare Canadian whiskey and Seven up as oxygen for the brain but tomorrow it may smolder a bit.
Dave
I really think you generalized this. Limiting or controlling the oxidizing agent(oxygen as it was referred to) is only part of the equation. The density of the fuel(charcoal) is another part of the equation. You can burn at the same temp but it would last for a different rate, vice versa. Simple BBQ math would also assume that too much oxygen without adequate room for the carbon monoxide to exit would cause the smoldering to cease. Like i said, i think you generalized and left quite a few steps out, as i have too generalized.
suprfast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2010, 08:07 AM   #17
EatRBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprfast View Post
I really think you generalized this. Limiting or controlling the oxidizing agent(oxygen as it was referred to) is only part of the equation. The density of the fuel(charcoal) is another part of the equation. You can burn at the same temp but it would last for a different rate, vice versa. Simple BBQ math would also assume that too much oxygen without adequate room for the carbon monoxide to exit would cause the smoldering to cease. Like i said, i think you generalized and left quite a few steps out, as i have too generalized.

I know my lump/briquette tests were pretty generalized as well. But IMHO the UDS is a controlled enough system that the lump lasts much longer than you would expect it to.

Lump is cheap, light weight, burns cleaner, and generally lasts as long as briquettes in my UDS. If I needed a longer cook than 12 hours I probably would use briquettes, otherwise I'm using lump.

For an $8.00 Wal-mart Royal Oak Lump purchase you can test it yourself on the cheap and notice the difference first hand.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:59 AM   #18
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:

I am no chemist but I don't think density would play much of a factor as you say unless you were burning something like rocks or steel that would require a very high heat so more oxygen would be needed.

Yes if the proper amount of intake/oxygen with the proper amount of exhaust/carbon monoxide is applied then lump should burn very close to the same rate as charcoal. I always have leftover lump in my uds for the next cook. You can have all the exhaust you need but lack of oxygen/intake and the fire will still smolder.
Dave

Old 03-07-2010, 12:14 PM   #19
suprfast
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo-Dave View Post
I am no chemist but I don't think density would play much of a factor as you say unless you were burning something like rocks or steel that would require a very high heat so more oxygen would be needed.

Yes if the proper amount of intake/oxygen with the proper amount of exhaust/carbon monoxide is applied then lump should burn very close to the same rate as charcoal. I always have leftover lump in my uds for the next cook. You can have all the exhaust you need but lack of oxygen/intake and the fire will still smolder.
Dave
And if you have all the intake you need with limited amount of exhaust you will still smolder the fire.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:18 PM   #20
Mo-Dave

Quote:
And if you have all the intake you need with limited amount of exhaust you will still smolder the fire.
True dat.
Dave

Old 03-07-2010, 12:21 PM   #21
sdb25
is one Smokin' Farker

Guys, don't make this more complicated than it needs to be.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:37 PM   #22
Mo-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdb25 View Post
Guys, don't make this more complicated than it needs to be.
Shucks you just ruined everything.
Dave

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:58 PM   #23
suprfast
Take a breath!

seriously. I love the science part about cooking. A lot more takes place then put meat on grill, wait three hours, eat. Chemical reactions are always taking place, and knowing how and what will happen can actually change the taste of food. Think of this as bbq molecular gastronomy.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:01 PM   #24
sdb25
is one Smokin' Farker

That's fine, as long as you acknowledge that most of the "science" being thrown around here is not quite accurate.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:59 PM   #25
suprfast
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdb25 View Post
That's fine, as long as you acknowledge that most of the "science" being thrown around here is not quite accurate.
There is science and then there is "Uncle bill said if i roast a pig in a lightning storm and lightning strikes the smoker it will be more moist".

Old 03-07-2010, 02:11 PM   #26
rockyathabaska
On the road to being a farker

Default briqettes vs lump

Thanks a ton for the input!It means o lot from bros who've been there ,done that
I've only used k for my bbq'in 'till last night.Bought some lump to try in my UDS for some turkey wings. I use apple wood for smoke.The lump didn't stink when I lit it up ;that's good ,smoked the wings with olive oil and weber chicken rub for 3 1\2 hrs.@ 225.
Like everything I've ever cooked on my UDS ,they were fantastic.
I think I'm sold on the Royal Oak lump.
Thanks for the input, from the Olympic City.

Rockyathabaska
UDS
18" weber
performer
silver b Genesis
rockyathabaska is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2010, 02:35 PM   #27
suprfast
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyathabaska View Post
Thanks a ton for the input!It means o lot from bros who've been there ,done that
I've only used k for my bbq'in 'till last night.Bought some lump to try in my UDS for some turkey wings. I use apple wood for smoke.The lump didn't stink when I lit it up ;that's good ,smoked the wings with olive oil and weber chicken rub for 3 1\2 hrs.@ 225.
Like everything I've ever cooked on my UDS ,they were fantastic.
I think I'm sold on the Royal Oak lump.
Thanks for the input, from the Olympic City.

Rockyathabaska
UDS
18" weber
performer
silver b Genesis
I agree the lump has a smell similar to stubbs. For whatever reason i prefer stubbs, but i was worried that stubbs was on its way to being discontinued and needing to find a new charcoal. I would probably go with RO more often but i dont like how its sparky and how it flakes similar to paper burning. Normally this wouldnt be an issue but with the stoker now the paper flaky ash gets pushed around the drum and it has the potential to stick to my food.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:43 PM   #28
chasmosis
Knows what a fatty is.

I've found that when using lump in my uds I gotta keep my temps a bit higher (between 250-275 on my thermo) than with briquettes (225) or it starts to go out.

I've also found that on a LONG cook (more than 12 hours) that with the minion method I've had lump burn down to the bottom and go out on me and leave an unburned ring on the outside of my basket.

I do prefer lump for short cooks. For long cooks I prefer briquettes or a mix of briquettes and lump (saw someone else mention this).
chasmosis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burn temps, burn times, lump, uds