Restoring a 1987 Weber Kettle

If you find one like that, DON'T SAND AND PAINT IT!!!

Get some good automotive polish (not wax), and bring back a shine on the ceramic finish. Yes, it will have scratches and other flaws, but painting over the ceramic coating will just ruin it, IMO.

It is like antique furniture. The scratches and other flaws just add to the character of the piece.

From the photo, it looks basically sound, so all it needs is some elbow grease -- and beer (for you, not the grill).

Take the wooden handles off, give them a light sanding, and use an oil-based penetrating stain on them.

Don't try to make it look new, or you will ruin it, IMO. Let it be what it is, but clean and relatively shiny.

CD

The only kettles I've attempted to repaint are the redheads, and its just cosmetic, because some of them had rust dings that discolored the finish. I just wanted to cover the spots.

Take a look at this one.
100_2288.jpg

I had tried everything to get the rust streaks to no avail, but at the end of the day, nobody notices it and from a distance it looks as good as new.

100_2282.jpg

100_2283.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

Clean and degrease them, Scotch brite pads and Fine steel wool and a razor blade scraper are my tools, and rubbing compound or Meguiars #7 Sealer glaze will bring them to life-not perfect, but something to be proud of.

IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_2857.jpg

Back