Thinking about buying a Oklahoma Joe highland

BrotherInArms

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Looking at getting a Oklahoma Joe highland offset. I was wondering what folks here thought about them. What are your likes and dislikes? I currently own two 18.5 wsm's and a weber kettle grill. I'm looking at expanding my smoker arsenal. So guys tell me your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

I actually bought one of these last year when I wanted to get my feel wet with an offset. Overall, I am quite happy with it. When I got it, I tested the temps on it and they were quite different across the chambers....at times almost 80 degrees. I tried ordering a convection plate for it, but after a couple of months and it not shipping just rigged something. Still not exactly what I want, but it works much better now and I only have about 25 degree temp fluctuations. I replaced the thermometer it came with and added a second one (it has the provisions for it) and I also added nomex gaskets to all the surfaces that open; [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Nomex-High-gasket-smoker-stick/dp/B00CI7A69I"]Amazon.com : 1/2" x 1/8" Nomex High Temp BBQ gasket smoker pit seal, self stick : Smoker Door Gaskets : Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/410W17q-AqL.@@AMEPARAM@@410W17q-AqL[/ame]

Overall I am pretty happy with it. Far from the perfect cooker, but for what I have in it, it will cook some solid BBQ and it is nice to sit out when the weather is warmer and feed it logs and relax. I also have a UDS and several kettles and it is definitely not anything like them...you need pretty constant supervision to make sure the fire stays lit and well fed. If you are wanting an offset and don't mind sinking a little money (or a lot if you get the convection plate made for you), it makes a pretty good cooker. No where as convenient as what you have and plan on about hour, hour and a half of warming and getting the fire ready before you can cook on it (this was the hardest to get used to and my other cookers are ready in 30 minutes or so) and It has held up well in the snow (I also purchased the cover for it) and when I am done cooking, makes some mean smores for the kids ;-)

So short version...out of the box, it was a cooking nightmare if you had a lot of food on it as the temps across the chamber were way off. With some mods, its a nice cooker. Its cheap and works pretty well. I am glad I purchased it and would do it all over again. Doesn't replace the others, though...

I would stick with the WSM's. I think you will be disappointed. If you really want an offset save your $ and buy one that won't blow over on a windy day.

I've been thinking about a Highland as well, since these are starting to show up at Lowes near me in Canada. I will keep an eye on this thread.

Last edited:
I would stick with the WSM's. I think you will be disappointed. If you really want an offset save your $ and buy one that won't blow over on a windy day.

DW head the nail on the head. OK Joes quality went away a long time ago. Save your pennies for something that will really last.

my OK Joes from Lowes weighed about 250 lbs

a WSM would blow over before that thing would.

my OK Joes from Lowes weighed about 250 lbs

a WSM would blow over before that thing would.

Same here. Mine is no small toy.

It has its faults, as have been mentioned - but after a few cooks, I got 'er dialed in pretty nicely and it works well for me. Some day I'll step up to the big league offsets and spend a pretty penny on one -- but mine was a great entry into this type of smoker and I've gotten some solid Q out of it.

I have an OK Joe's Longhorn and after some mods I learned on here and Youtube, it cooks great for me. I'm still just a novice and still learning the art but I definitely think it's a great starter stick burner.

Thanks for all the comments fellas. My first smoker was a charbroil offset. I loved it. Learned some tricks and put out some great bbq. The only problem with it is that I only had it 14 months. I cooked on it two to three times a week. In the end I cooked right through the darn thing. Weak and cheap metal. But you get what you pay for.

Thanks for all the comments fellas. My first smoker was a charbroil offset. I loved it. Learned some tricks and put out some great bbq. The only problem with it is that I only had it 14 months. I cooked on it two to three times a week. In the end I cooked right through the darn thing. Weak and cheap metal. But you get what you pay for.

then this pit will be a piece of cake for you

This pit does seem to get some bad comments from people on here, but honestly, its not a bad pit at all. Sure it is no custom built or high dollar pit, but it will still turn out some outstanding BBQ. Like I said earlier, I use mine weekly if not more than once a week..been through two truck loads of splits and it still looks like new. I also have not run into an issue where I ran out of room in it. Sure the Longhorn is bigger, but I just could not justify the price difference between them. It is a heavy pit..not like the super cheap brinkmans I looked at. I have no clue where you are, but if you are anywhere near Ohio, stop over and see it in action for yourself. Sure its not a high dollar smoker, but its not priced like one either and I am sure if I want to kick it down the road in a few years, I will get a good chunk of my money back on it.

This pit does seem to get some bad comments from people on here, but honestly, its not a bad pit at all. Sure it is no custom built or high dollar pit, but it will still turn out some outstanding BBQ. Like I said earlier, I use mine weekly if not more than once a week..been through two truck loads of splits and it still looks like new. I also have not run into an issue where I ran out of room in it. Sure the Longhorn is bigger, but I just could not justify the price difference between them. It is a heavy pit..not like the super cheap brinkmans I looked at. I have no clue where you are, but if you are anywhere near Ohio, stop over and see it in action for yourself. Sure its not a high dollar smoker, but its not priced like one either and I am sure if I want to kick it down the road in a few years, I will get a good chunk of my money back on it.

I'm from West Virginia, but currently live in Washington state in the navy. I looked at the Longhorn and thought about it but since they have the highland at walmart and my wife is an employee there. I think that I will use her employee discount when the tax refund comes in.

I the have a longhorn (formerly buttburners). i wouldnt complain about that line for the money. Are there better pits? Sure but you'll pay more for them. Minimal mods and she runs fine. I remember the highland being smaller. It may not be incredibly bigger than a wsm as far as usable space. when i moved up from an 18 wsm and a kettle to the longhorn the added room was amazing. I would recommend it over the highland for that reason if its in your budget. With a little care and maintenance i see those pits lasting easily ten years, and more. The quality is superior to the charbroil thin cos, they are plenty sturdy.

Just wondering how heavy the highland is? Can one person load it up in the back of either a mini truck or full size truck?

Just wondering how heavy the highland is? Can one person load it up in the back of either a mini truck or full size truck?

If you mean in box from store then have staff load into back for you. You can unload one piece at a time at home. If you mean built already and takin to your buddies house it may be akward.

No way...they are heavy and the box is large and awkward. I had them get warehouse guys and load it at the store for me and then I had a heck of a time getting it out of the car when it got home because I was too excited to wait for anyone to help me get out. Like others have said, this is not a lightweight pit!! I had to slide it to the back of my wife's SUV, let it drop to the ground and then push it to the other side of the garage where I assembled it.

I don't know about this offset, but I do know all too well about offsets that require assembly. Let me just say I got tired of throwing good money after bad x4.:wink:

Mine was preassembled, and there was no way I was getting it anywhere on my own.

Didn't have any help, so had Lowe's drop it off at the house for us. I wheeled it into the backyard on my own, but that's as much as I could do.

Back